Author Topic: walking on a lead  (Read 5671 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: walking on a lead
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 13:04:26 »
Like you ACE, I taught mine to walk without a lead but some times it's safer alround to use one. When I'm walking her off the lead there are places she will stop until the lead goes on. There are 'lead' places and 'no-lead' places and she knows them all.
 Stick to it. Repetition will work in the end.
Ken.
 PS. Sounds like an intellegent dog. The loose short lead used every day will work quite well eventually.

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 10:14:42 »
We have a springer spaniel collie cross (sprollie!)

Have to say that he is amazing off the lead, but once on it he could take your arm off if he tried >:(

Am still perseveering with the lead training but I find that if he has had a good run before trying, he seems to accept behaving a lot more.

Haltis do make things a lot easier, but if left his own devices, even for a while, will try and sometimes manage to get it off..

Good luck..
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 15:12:23 »
While I was rummaging around in the shed, I found his old choke chain. I tried it out and had a great walk with him. He did not bother to pull as chain made the lead  another 6 inches longer. So I got a longer lead and he is as good as gold. I reckon he was uncomfortable walking by my big feet and had to be just a few more inches further forward. I do remember once I did tread on his paw, he must have had it somewhere in the back of his mind.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 12:46:05 »
Good-O ACE ;D

Thats made life a lot easier for you both ;D

Happy caravaning holidays coming up for all of you ;) ;D ;D ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 19:04:24 »
While I was rummaging around in the shed, I found his old choke chain. I tried it out and had a great walk with him. He did not bother to pull as chain made the lead  another 6 inches longer. So I got a longer lead and he is as good as gold. I reckon he was uncomfortable walking by my big feet and had to be just a few more inches further forward. I do remember once I did tread on his paw, he must have had it somewhere in the back of his mind.

Border's are lead dogs. They hate walking to heel, but they will walk ahead by just a few feet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal