Author Topic: frozen water  (Read 2146 times)

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
frozen water
« on: January 10, 2009, 21:28:43 »
  Hi   all any tips on how to stop the water freezing for my hens? It is inside during the night but still freezes. It is in a plastic container and has been freezing up through out the day as well.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: frozen water
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 22:53:54 »
You could always try and make a jacket warmer to go over or around the container;  though the water in the drinking rim would probably still freeze

My hen water is in multiple containers outside around the hen run.  It is also frozen each morning.  The hammer I keep in my shed is used daily to smash the ice so it can be tipped out so they can have fresh water.  Just a daily chore to the perks of keeping hens I guess. 

All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 12:51:46 »
There is a type of 'Anti freeze' you can buy for wild bird's water bowls. Im not sure I like the idea myself though. Have a googly for it. It must be safe or it couldnt be sold ;)

Is it worth insulting........(typo!! Meant insulating ;D) the coop? If we are going to get more winters like this it may be worth it. It would also help if the summers do start to get very warm as well.

Just a thought ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 19:09:05 »
we add a couple of teaspoons of cider vinegar to the water, it's a vitamin boost for the chooks and it seemed to help keep the water defrosted  ???

Peasticks

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 20:34:18 »
Someone recommended some of those handwarmers, 'snap' them and drop them in the water then boil them in the eve which revitalises them for use the next day. I have ordered two

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 21:35:52 »
We got this stuff from a game fair for our rabbits water its called vydephor its a disinfectant that sterilizes and stops container going green,but we found it stopped the bottle freezing up.A big bottle was a tenner i think, i know chemicals arent everyones cuppa but it works for me.All the best  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal