Author Topic: How do you grow Xmas trees?  (Read 1298 times)

davee52uk

• Acre
How do you grow Xmas trees?
« on: January 03, 2009, 18:23:26 »
Looking at the prices of Xmas trees, I thought it might be worthwhile to grow my own.  Anybody know how to grow them. I believe they can be started from cuttings. There are some trees growing near my house so I can get cuttings.

Please advise

les65

• Quarter Acre
Re: How do you grow Xmas trees?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 18:52:42 »
never heard os them being grown from cuttings but chiltern seed sell the seed and i have 2 tree's still growing from seed.
the one most used for christmas tree's is   picea abies
easy to grow but might be some time before its a 6 footer, good luck
http://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/chilternseeds/211/moreinfo/d/picea+abies/pid/31512240

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 19:35:29 »
When you buy a Xmas tree, the trick is to buy one with its roots still attached.
Then you just shove it in the garden.

You might still be able to get one, check your garden centres.

From seed, it takes about 2 years to get established and then up to 2 years per foot. Ie a 6ft tree will take around 14 years.  That's why they cost.

Then you chop it down, bring it inside and two/three weeks later, you pulp it,
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 21:43:18 »
Better still, grow a monkey puzzle tree in the garden and put fairy lights on it each Christmas. That'll get the neighbours talking  ;D

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 23:35:22 »
To the best of my knowledge Xmas trees do not grow from cuttings but if you trawl the Internet there are plenty of growers that sell 2-4 year seedlings bare rooted for minimal cost.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 11:59:37 »
I have been growing one in a pot for several years now. It was 18" high when we got it in 1998. It's now >5' and we struggle to lift it, so this year (given we weren't going to be there over Christmas to water it anyway) we just dragged it over to the house and decorated it outside with shatterproof baubles!

We also went to the local indie GC and bought a new, smaller bare root one for £6.99 and shoved it in a liftable pot. That's currently looking like a proper Christmas tree, covered with baubles and snow! That will end up the main tree in a couple of years. One day we'll find somewhere to plant the old one!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal