Author Topic: how to set up the ethernet router  (Read 2815 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
how to set up the ethernet router
« on: December 24, 2008, 19:44:06 »
well, Ray got his christmas wish, a box to set up both laptops to the internet, he bought 2 ethernet leads today and can't get it to work  :(
anyone out there who's bored and could baby talk us through the process of setting it up, it's all connected, do i need the next broadband connection or can we do it on the basic  ???
HELLLLLLP  :-[

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: how to set up the ethernet router
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 20:57:57 »
turn on modem first, then turn on rouiter, then turn on p.c.'s that should do it!
this should get 'em both on the net.  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 21:44:40 »
thanks, tonybloke, will give it a go  ;D

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 21:23:42 »
Did you get it to work?

More info would be useful ;)
What leads did you buy, patch or cross-over?
How is the laptops connected? i.e laptop-router or laptop-'the box you bought'- router.

Try the following:
tools - internet options- connections and make sure 'never make a connection' is selected

I'm not an expert on networks, but have set up a couple.
You are welcome to pm me and i will send you my phone number to try and talk you through.

Neil

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 10:42:46 »
thanks, neil...my son bought us an asus 5/8 port desktop gigabit switch, gigax1105n. we bought 2 ethernet connector leads, do we need anything else  ???
both computers are on never dial up a connection  ???
my son's wife's just given birth so he's got far too much on his mind to sort it for us and he lives in brighton  ;D
is it 'cos they're both laptops  ???

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 20:18:04 »
Just to clarify did he buy a switch or a router?

What you need is a router not a switch then you dont need to use your existing modem as the router kinda of has a built in modem. If you set up the modem and switch together you will have to do Internet connection sharing which means the laptop connected to the modem would need to be switched on when the other laptop connects to the Internet

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 08:03:17 »
soooo, that's the problem, Ray asked for one thing (a router) and got something else (a switch)  :-\

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 08:17:33 »
well, Ray got his christmas wish, a box to set up both laptops to the internet, he bought 2 ethernet leads today and can't get it to work  :(
anyone out there who's bored and could baby talk us through the process of setting it up, it's all connected, do i need the next broadband connection or can we do it on the basic  ???
HELLLLLLP  :-[

You say you have a router, is it a wireless router? If so, you will have to connect it to the telephone socket AND to the ethernet socket on one laptop. from that laptop you need to enter something like 192.168.1.1 to bring up the control panel of the router (the actual code is the one supplied with the router). You can then set up the router, turning on the wireless side of it, not forgetting to set up the WEP password for wifi log on (to prevent other people from using your wifi). After that you should switch off the laptop, remove the ethernet cable, switch on the laptop and it should find your router. Log on with your password and it should automatically log on after that. The other laptop will also need logging on for the first time.

Edit: Sorry, I note that you say it is non wifi set up, I prefer the wifi way, it's more flexible. We also have a computer group meeting (we're in our 21st year) every month where all members can use the wifi
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 08:32:09 by Larkshall »
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 16:43:40 »
we got a belkin 54g, hardwired 4 pooters to it! (it does do wireless, but get a better transfer rate through cable)
You couldn't make it up!

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 16:59:43 »
we got a belkin 54g, hardwired 4 pooters to it! (it does do wireless, but get a better transfer rate through cable)

Check your actual transfer rate, the fastest rate will be the broadband rate (normally about 10Mbps at the most). The wifi rate is probably around 54Mbps, while the ethernet rate could be 10Mbps/100Mbps/1000Mbps according what card you have. The slowest rate is the effective rate. It's like a water tap, you can have a 3/4" tap on a 1"pipe, but if the 1" pipe is controlled by a 1/2" stop valve, 1/2" will be the effective (fastest) flow.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 18:19:24 »
got the wrong leads, need 5's  ::)

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 13:06:57 »
If you can afford it or if your son can take back the switch and exchange for a wireless router and two cards/adapters for the laptops go wireless. it's much easier to set up.

What router/modem do you have connected to broadband?
How do you connect to the internet at the moment?

It's been a long while since using leads but if i remember correctly, if using a router/switch then patch leads are used (hold the ends together and all the colours are the same order both ends). If the leads you have have the two middle colours changed around, then this is a crossover lead and no good for what you need.

I told you it was complicated ;D

Neil

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 16:58:56 »
don't have the receipt for the switch and paul's not sleeping too well, don't really want to worry him  :-\
the leads all have the same colour both ends, looked at the box they were in and it says 5e...I thought that was what we needed  ???
we're through virgin media, via a cable to a box, one goes to the tv and one to the computer.. phone makes it's own arrangements  ::)
so, we seem to be on the right course, just wondering if my broadband package isn't enough to run 2 laptops, maybe I should ring virgin  ???

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 17:53:16 »
Your broadband will be fine.

If i get this right, you should have the cable from your virgin box into your new switch then 1 lead going into each laptop and computer.

Try plugging in only the computer to the switch and see if you can go onto the internet. If this works then you need to make sure the laptops are set to the same workgroup, so they are all set to the same network.
Try the following on you pc... start(or windows key) - right click on my computer - properties - click on the computer name tab and look to see what the name of your workgroup is, Its normaly Home or Workgroup.

Plug in one laptop to the switch and do the above, if the workgroup says different to your pc then click change and type in the correct workgroup name. You might need to change the name of your laptop if both laptops are named laptop.

Sometimes it's worth turning of the laptops and pc, reset or turn off then on the virgin box, then turn back on the laptops and pc.

Hopefully the above works.

Neil

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 18:18:02 »
right,thank you, will do that in a min, when Ray gets off the phone to the hospital

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 18:28:55 »
Should of said, check the original cable that goes from the virgin box to the pc to see if it's a patch cable(same colours) or cross over(different).

Neil

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 18:53:35 »
sent you a p.m, neil,  :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal