Author Topic: Alstroemeria  (Read 1852 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Alstroemeria
« on: July 16, 2005, 12:17:59 »
I've bought some alstroemeria seeds. Has anyone had any success in getting them to germinate?. My first attempt at these, so any hints will be appreciated.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Deeds

• Half Acre
Re: Alstroemeria
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 18:00:37 »
I've grown a lot of species ones from seed, just planted them in Autumn left them in the cold frame and they appeared in spring, do protect from slugs and snails though as they will munch off the new growth as soon as it appears.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 19:01:36 »
Hiya Val !

I have done a bit of research for your query and found out that alstromeria may take 18 months to germinate.!! :o

Below is a bit more information according to what time of the year you will sow them .. Good luck Val !!  :D

Sowing OCTOBER-FEBRUARY. Sow the seeds in John Innes seed compost, covering them with a thin layer of compost. After watering place the seed container outside against a North wall or in a cold frame, making sure they are protected against mice, and leave them there until the spring. The compost should be kept moist but not wet at all times, and if the seed containers are out in the open then some shelter has to be given against excessive rain. In the spring bring the seed containers into the greenhouse, or indoors on to a well lit but not sunny windowsill and keep the compost moist. This should trigger off germination. If the seeds do not germinate in the spring keep them in cool moist conditions throughout the summer. As each seed germinates we would recommend that you transplant it almost immediately into its own pot.

Sowing MARCH-SEPTEMBER. Sow in John Innes seed compost, or something similar, and place each container in a polythene bag and put into the refrigerator (not the freezer compartment) for 2-3 weeks. After this time place the containers outside in a cold frame or plunge them up to the rims in a shady part of the garden border and cover with glass or clear plastic. Some of the seeds may germinate during the spring and summer and these should be transplanted when large enough to handle. The remainder of the seeds may lay dormant until next spring.

Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 12:27:57 »
Oh..err...b....r..oh well, when I collect my pension I might see them shoot  ;D..its a long time...Thanks Marianne and Deeds..Its those Chilterns seeds that do it, never look in their catalogue when you're not feeling strong willed. You'll end up with the most ridiculous seeds in the greenhouse trying to germinate.I'm still going to try, basically I suppose just forget about them.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 22:06:27 »
Awwww poor Val, I hope they germinate this year for you !  :-* :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 07:12:34 »
lol....well I've just covered them with cling film and left them outside, they are now forgotten ;)..otherwise I shall fiddle with them and end up throwing them away.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 00:56:03 »
I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping someone had some success along the way.

I've just completed the sowing instructions........

Three weeks in the prop three weeks in the cold greenhouse and three weeks back in the prop and not seen any signs of life yet!

Any success anyone?

Ninnyscrops

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 11:37:17 »
well I never had any luck, in fact I'd forgotten about them, I don't even know where they ended up.

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 11:47:21 »
I also tried these - all the malarkey in the fridge etc but no joy :-[, I am a sucker for a challenge though and thought I might have another go! stupid thing is if you have the common orange one in the garden once its established it shoots up all over the place   ::) such is life

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 14:34:57 »
I've made this mistake with things that look nice in catalogues - the catalogues never say 'beware this takes 18 months to germinate' or 'you probably won't see half of these sprout, and then they'll die mysteriously anyway'  :'(

I never have enough room for things which take so long to germinate. I prefer to give the space to reliable things like sweet peas and beans that you can practically see growing!

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 13:26:56 »
Oh dear.............. :(

I'd thought I'd give them a go as they were in my Wedding Bouquet 31 years ago.

Ninnyscrops

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal