Author Topic: Christmas cactus  (Read 3387 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Christmas cactus
« on: November 21, 2008, 17:39:59 »
I bought one the other day and all the flowers have fallen off.

Any ideas why?  Lack of light?  Otherwise it is fine.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
Re: Christmas cactus
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 17:44:27 »
Unlike most other cacti, they need warmth and regular watering in autumn and winter, through the flowering period - but not over-watering, of course.  They also need light. They do not much like being moved.
Keep Calm and Carry On

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 17:55:59 »
Unlike most other cacti, they need warmth and regular watering in autumn and winter, through the flowering period - but not over-watering, of course.  They also need light. They do not much like being moved.
Is repotting a good idea?

hopalong

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 18:54:33 »
Is repotting a good idea?

Not while they're flowering, but you could try repotting them in a light, free-draining compost when they've finished.
Keep Calm and Carry On

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • http://backgardenallotmenteer.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 19:07:12 »
The flowers always fall off mine, too. I think our house - kitchen in particular - is that much colder than a supermarket (got my last one from Morrisons) - that they go into cold shock. Bah! The same seems to happen to growing herbs that I get from the supermarket - they look all healthy and then two days later, blegggh - they keel over. :(

hopalong

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 19:23:56 »
Mine do very well in the bathroom, near a window and not far from a radiator.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 19:28:17 »
I think with christmas cactus the buds try to move towards the light, so if you move the plant, they might drop off

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 20:20:34 »
I was told way back in the 70s never to move a Christmas Cactus once it started to flower or the buds would drop off.  they do as well.  I am always careful at watering time.  Don't move a Christmas Cactus once it is in flower.    ;)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 22:40:57 »
I was told way back in the 70s never to move a Christmas Cactus once it started to flower or the buds would drop off.  they do as well.  I am always careful at watering time.  Don't move a Christmas Cactus once it is in flower.    ;)

I was told the exact same thing ;)

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 23:31:20 »
The problem is lack of moisture in the air - they are grown in fairly humid conditions.  The way to save plants from the garden centre is to stand them in a cool position on a tray of moist pebbles. Cold is not a problem for them providing that you keep them fairly dry - I keep mine in a north-facing porch all year, and they are happy down to about 7C.

hopalong

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 15:02:22 »
Lia Leendertz says in today's Guardian magazine:

"For a Christmas cactus to put on its best show of flowers, it needs to be in a room that has uninterrupted darkness at night.... Even a short burst from a lightbulb can prevent this prima donna flowering... They are fussy about temperature, too: a porch or greenhouse will be too cold, while anything over 18C will slow flowers further".
Keep Calm and Carry On

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 07:15:13 »
I have had my one for over 15 years.

I keep it in a room I do not use at night. In Autumn it gets the right amount of light and dark to encourage buds. Simply because there is never artificial light in that room.

When the first flower comes out, I move it to a place of honour to display it's self. Never ever on a window ledge.

It goes back to the spare room when the flowers die off.

I water it when I remember, sometimes it is bone dry and the leaves are begining to shrivel.

I suggest that the sudden change in conditions when they are retailed causes the shock for the flowers to drop.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 15:28:31 »
Cant remember what I did with mine, it was a cutting off the plant from the lovely old lady next door ~ it grew and grew and grew until we almost considered having to move as it got so big  :D

I laugh now but it really did become a problem.

I think going back to the original question, sometimes when we buy things in flower they are forced and changes in enviroment tend to affect the plant resulting in a demise.

Give it 12 months in stable conditions and I am sure that next year you will have no concern.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal