Author Topic: GOODBYE 2008  (Read 1183 times)

betula

• Hectare
GOODBYE 2008
« on: December 31, 2008, 12:55:16 »
Well in the dying hours of 2008,it is a good time to reflect on the year.

I n a lot of ways it has been a great year for me.

My children are doing well in their careers,my grandchildren are a joy.

I passed my exams in July,I now work in gardens that I feel are a privilege to work in,so beautiful.

We have had a few health scares but luckily ,still jogging on.

My allotment is still a joy to me and hope for even better next year.

On the downside we have lost precious friends .Makes us realise you have to savour life and live life to the full.

What kind of year you had? ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: GOODBYE 2008
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 13:01:02 »
similar to you from the sounds of it, not a very good end with Ray's dad and mum still in hospital, dad's pneumonia refusing to budge..
Wonderful Christmas with Sofia arriving, safe and well.
Callum and Matthew are a joy to spend time with.
health is a bit rocky but at least I can still grow fruit and vegges and have a laugh with our mates on the plot and on here  ;D
would like a bit more warm in 2009,  cold and damp plays havoc wif me joints  ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 14:11:07 »
I guess mixed is the best way to describe it!

Started off pants with me being admitted to hospital New Years Eve instead of going to a party, ended up staying there all of January so not a good start to 2008....went back to work at Easter, so I felt I'd missed most of the first part of the year!
Work has been exceptionally busy, our local birth rate has increased by about 5-10%, and our midwife numbers have dropped...plus lots of retirements coming up in the next five years so that situation isn't going to improve overnight.
As an allotment committee member, we have had a horrid year dealing with the fallout left by the 'old' chairman...we are hopeful things are going to be a bit easier now that situation is mostly sorted. My allotment continues to provide welcome peace and reward for mucking around in muck!
Family wise, big school situations for our two, youngest started high school in September, eldest now talking mock GCSE's in preparation for the real thing in 2009.....so the fun continues!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 14:16:23 »
Has had it's ups and downs.  

January saw Mark having a rough time at work
February saw him loosing his job and we had to think about selling up
March saw struggles financially, but saw our little angel turn 9
April saw Mark get a new job, low pay, but he has never been so happy
May saw my business going from strength to strength
June saw our friends chemo coming to an end
July saw school holidays and Mark turning 40
August saw 2 weeks in the south of France - paid for long before our financial downturn
September saw the children returning to school
October saw our little man turn 8 and us visiting the family in Devon
November saw me turn 38 (eek!) and our angel passing her first piano exam
December saw the family all falling ill with the lurgey, our friend having bad news on the cancer front,  but a family packed Christmas

Of course, lots of things haven't been mentioned, our friend has Huntingtons and is deteriorating fast, cancer seems to be striking at other friends, Marks step grandad has had a series of strokes and is now being cared for in a home.....

So I shan't be sad to see 2008 go, and hope that 2009 brings more ups than downs.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 15:13:28 »
Mixed bag for us as well.  Had some triumphs (potatoes and beans) and some naff bits (the rest of the allotment lol), few health issues, my boys had braces, but they've made me very proud, they had a Christmas card from all the people they deliver to on their paper rounds, with a message from each saying how hard working, polite, punctual and kind they are - I didn't know but they'd knocked on the pensioners doors when it was icy to ask if they wanted shopping, bless em.  I'm now halfway through my final year at University, my mum is halfway through her teaching training.  My brother got married, my other brothers moved house.  My back still hurts like hell, but I'll be damned if it'll beat me.  I'll remember the good bits, try and forget the rest and hope that 2009 brings all of us on here and those we care about a good 2009.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL THE FRIENDS I'VE MADE ON A4A!!!
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 20:19:53 »
Goodbye 2008 and good riddance.  Its been a bad bad year for me  health wise.  I do not think I have been A1 since the start of this year.  Nothing serious, for that I am grateful but annoying nonetheless.  Holidays were a No No as well.  Channel Tunnel went on fire, didn't it!!!  The only joy was the birth of Jessica.  Here's to a good and prosperous New Year to everyone in 2009.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 11:32:01 »
Pretty good year for me apart from my daughters ongoing illness. My 2nd Great Grandchild was born in June. On Christmas Eve my eldest Granddaughter's (Chloe-Anne's Mum) partner asked her to marry him so yipee we will have a wedding, not sure when. Lovely to see the 3 of them settled in their little house.
Another bonus for 2008 the friends I have made on A4A especially where I have managed to meet them.
So for me to wake up every morning and know I will see at least a couple of my children, grandchildren and even great grandchildren is all I can ask for.
To those of you who are going through health problems I wish you well in 2009.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 12:30:24 »
My health has been a problem, and although never life threatening it will cost me my job by Easter.. if I'm not very lucky.
 :-\

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 12:34:08 »
I hope you're very lucky then, saddad  :)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 10:37:59 »
Hope things improve for you saddad :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 10:58:27 »
Thanks..  :)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 11:13:56 »
I too hope you are lucky as i'm sure you will be.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal