Author Topic: AVG 8.0 Internet Security - Wiped all my files!!  (Read 2040 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
AVG 8.0 Internet Security - Wiped all my files!!
« on: December 23, 2008, 22:21:06 »
We had Virgin Media antivirus installed but my desktop PC was going slow due to being infected with the Bowork virus / worm or something.  I purchased AVG Internet Security today, installed it, did a scan.  Now all my files on my PC have been deleted.  Powerpoint presentations,  spreadsheets,  word documents.  20GB worth.  All that is left on my hard drive is program software files.  The only 2 things I moved to the Virus Vault was 2 Tracking cookies. 

I am not sure if my wife's laptop has the same thing but we dare not scan her PC in-case it does the same.  At least until we find if we will still have her files. 

Any idea why.  Whats gone wrong?  Can we do a safe scan?
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

grandadg

• Not So New ...
Re: AVG 8.0 Internet Security - Wiped all my files!!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 22:34:55 »
Hi, 
sorry to read of your problem, I use AVG free and run daily scans with no problem. I can only suggest you contact AVG support, they may be able to talk you through restoring the missing files.  Hope some one can help.
Regards Grandadg

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 22:51:07 »
 :'(

Oh No! Agree with all said above, AVG free works for me. Hope it's recoverable.

:-\

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 22:55:56 »
I run the free AVG and its great !!
My desk top has been hit wth a windows antivirus 2009 bug and is in the shop having my data retreved !!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 08:35:59 »
And in the mean tme whatever you do, DO NOT attempt to reload any of your programs. Everything is still there on your hard drive until you load something over the top of it. It can be retrieved. We had a similar problem when our hard drive was corrupted. I managed to get everything back from it eventually.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Nemesia

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 16:43:13 »
I have noticed on the Technie section of MSE that lots of people are reporting problem with AVG8.
You might pick up a tip if you have a look there. It is a very active forum. The only reason I am not asking the lads there what  I need to know is that they have helped me so much and will have assumed I am sorted with my new laptop......if only  ::)

skintnbitter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 17:06:10 »
Hi, in the past when i have had problems with my PC i have reset my computer back to a previous date.  From memory the computer will show you what dates you can reset back to. If i knew around what date i had broke it so to speak i would just choose the nearest available day to that. 9 times out of 10 this has worked for me.

1 Click the Start button, point to All Programs→Accessories→System Tools, and then click System Restore.
2 Ensure that Restore my computer to an earlier time is selected and click Next.
3 Click a calendar date to which you want to restore your computer.
The Select a Restore Point screen provides a calendar that allows you to see and select restore points.
All calendar dates with available restore points appear in boldface type.
4 Select a restore point and click Next.
If a calendar date has only one restore point, then that restore point is automatically selected. If two or more restore points are available, click the restore point that you prefer.
5 Click Next.
The Restoration Complete screen appears after System Restore finishes collecting data and then the computer restarts.
6 After the computer restarts, click OK.
To change the restore point, you can either repeat the steps using a different restore point, or you can undo the restoration.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 18:28:24 »
I had 3 Trojans the other day. Thanks to Live One Care they were got rid of right away. It can be really frightening when you watch one of these trojans in action. Like having a poltergiest in yer computer. I sat there watching my desktop changing and couldn't believe what was happening. The microsoft patches had downloaded a couple of days before so don't know where these had come from
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 22:23:37 »
KT, it sounds to me like your AVG is not allowing your files.  Can you go into the settings and have a look about to see if there are boxes which needed ticking/unticking?

Your files will still be there somewhere, they've not been deleted but as has been said, it's very important NOT to overwrite anything.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal