Author Topic: Three Unknown Fruit Tree Varieties  (Read 1212 times)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Three Unknown Fruit Tree Varieties
« on: December 09, 2008, 19:04:46 »
It's difficult to resist a bargain, isn't it?

We'd already bought a plum and a damson tree for the allotment, and some blackberry and tayberry plants for the new bit where the beehives will go.

Last weekend was planting weekend. We'd been to buy some stakes and ties, and on the way back were seduced by a "half price sale" into going into Wyevales, known to all of us for their expensive tat.

The plants in the sale mostly seemed to be dead. Even at half price they weren't worth it. But they also had three very nice fruit trees, two fan-trained, one bush, marked down to £10 and labelled "unknown variety". When we enquired, that meant unknown species. The fans look to be apples or pears, but the bush could be anything at this point of the year. They're three-year-old trees, so quite sturdy, and should produce something next year.

So we bought them. Even better, one wouldn't scan at the till, so we got it for £2. So £22 for all three.  ;)

We found a place for one on our now rather crowded allotment, and the other two joined the blackberry bushes in the apiary.

Now we wait and see. At the very least the bees should enjoy the blossom. And they'll be the best pollinated trees anywhere.  Assuming that there are suitable partners in the vicinity, of course.

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Three Unknown Fruit Tree Varieties
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 18:58:21 »
You've bought what my husband calls sausages - 'bags of mystery'.

Half the fun will be seeing what you end up with.  The beauty is, whatever it is it  will be edible. ;D ;D

valmarg

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 05:53:03 »
I like a bargain too. Spend ages trying to work out what something is then thinking if I can use it sometimes.

You will be waiting for blossom now to see who has the same on their tree then banging on doors to find out what it is.

With the price of fruit, what ever it is, you will get your money back at harvest time.

Just wondering if the trees are worth giving a 'winter wash' spray on Boxing Day.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 17:53:29 »
PH, I'm not sure that Winter washing is such a good idea.

I can remember my dad spraying fruit trees with a preparation called Morteg.  I don't think it is available now, but the nearest thing would be Armillatox.

I think the problem is that you kill more hibernating 'good' insects than bad.

I'm sure there are others out there who could give you more information, but from what I've read 'Winter washing is not such a good idea.

valmarg

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 16:56:35 »
I use no chemicals on my trees, I'm surrounded by trees belonging to people who don't do anything either, and I don't get a lot of trouble with pests. Wait and see.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal