Author Topic: Dog training,need tips.  (Read 3307 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Dog training,need tips.
« on: December 23, 2008, 00:38:45 »
I can get my pup (5 months) to lie down if I bend over and put my hand to the floor... because he knows there might be a treat in my hand . What I'm finding hard is getting him to lie down when I'm standing up,whether I'm holding a treat or not. How do I proceed?  If I tell him to lie down when I'm standing he just looks at me as if to say "You're joking!" He'll sit. He'll leave, he'll fetch and he'll drop and non of those actions require me to get down to the floor lol. 

I'm really stuck and would love some help!

gardentg44

• Hectare
Re: Dog training,need tips.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 07:44:58 »
always get your dog to sit before you tell him to laydown,
from the sitting position say"lay down "then gentley ease his
front legs forward so he lays down.then give him the treat
he will soon get the hang of it.

always remember no trick no treat

kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 23:13:28 »
Thanks  G44.

Getting him to sit is no poblem. Getting him to lie down using the follow the treat down is no problem ( as taught at his puppy party). Getting him to lay down without him having to follow the treat down to the floor and having me bend over aint happening.

I just want to be able to look at him,tell him to "lie" and have him do it!  I managed it with my other dogs but this one just doesn't want to do it lol.  Ah well,I'll keep trying.  Come to think of it I'm sure your way is the way I trained Cass but it was 18 years ago and I'd forgotten.Wished I hadn't followed the advice at the puppy party.  Ah well. :)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 00:37:50 »
My springer was the same, she'd sit, lie down and wait if she knew something was coming, but refused point blank otherwise.  It took a few weeks but we got there eventually.  Leave however is a different kettle of fish, she WILL NOT! Occasionally she'll swap whatever she's stolen for a choc button or a piece of cheese, but most of the time apparently the sock tastes better!  Let me know if you have any tips for that one!  I don't know what treats you use to train your dogs but I find cheese seems to be best thing for us, I think it's because it has a stronger smell.
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 11:34:12 »
Hi Heldi, when training my two dogs i used the single command i.e "sit" "stay" "down" "here" and "away"
some time with a hand gestures (not two fingers ::) >:( ;D) sorry ;D ;)

tone of voice helps,  Patting when he does what you want and saying GOOD BOY will help and a deep BAD BOY when he won't  >:(

do you use a lead, for training, it will help inforce your command,

watch this programme on sky tv http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/dogwhisperer/
my allotment
heaven

Peasticks

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 18:13:41 »
Do you use the down command and then use the same word to get your puppy off the sofa or bed? mine got confused with the dual use of the word so we use 'rest' now to get him to lie down and use a hand gesture different to the one where you have to get down low, our hand gesture is all fingers together in a point and then back of the hand down (a bit like a rosebud shape) its easier to use when you are standing up

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 19:48:45 »
I have to say I agree with Windy on this one, do watch the clips. There's actually no need for words at all. But it takes perserveance and patience from us mere mortals.

Cesar on the other hand is a genius, his timing is superb. But everyone in the home has to help doing the right thing or it will not work ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 09:57:28 »
Thanks for the tips.  We did it!  Only once but it's a move in the right direction.

I have to keep reminding the family to use the same words and OH is the worst. the children are really good.

Avid watcher of The Dog Whisperer.  Following lots of his advice hoping to prevent myself from causing problems I have to correct later. Can't watch the new series  :( as I don't have Sky, only have the free digi channel one.

Have more serious issues with Frodo now which I will ask about in another post.

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 18:46:49 »
I watched the 'dog whisperer' and I think he has a very similar (if not on camera) to my OH's good friend who is an ex-police dog handler.

It is all to do with dominance, they need to know where in the pack they are.  I have two large and very gently dogs that are about 18 months old.  My children, now 8 & 5, were told that they have to be positive with the dogs (one of the reasons we had them is was that our children were scared of dogs).  It is really sweet to see my 5 year old son telling the dogs to get into the house, and they do!!!  He a only little boy but the dogs know who is the boss.

Short sharp commands, keep it constant but remember that the 'tricks' work easier when the dog knows who is the boss.  No foody treats but lots of praise works for our dogs.  Apparently they prefer to be rewarded with their favourite toy to play with rather than doggy nibbles.

Bon courage Coco

Squash63

• Half Acre
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 06:34:57 »
My Border Terrier Graham is almost ten years old now so I can't remember exactly how I taught him 'down' but when I did it, I pointed to the floor as I said "down".  Ever since, all I have to do is point to the floor and he does it without me saying the word. 

I watch Cesar Millan (Dog Whisperer) often and I think it's amazing how he gets the most aggressive dogs to calm down.  But as he says, he rehabilitates dogs and trains owners!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham
www.growit.ik.com

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 13:11:32 »
Hellooo and thanks for all the advice.

We did it!

I decided to leave it for a while.  Started again just this week and within three or four tries he was lying down on command. Hurrah!  I wonder if it is because he's a couple of months older now or was it the tasty pieces of cheese I rewarded him with? :D

Got my 5 year old daughter to use the command just to make sure it wasn't a fluke and Frodo went down straight away.

Next thing I need him to learn is to roll over so I can brush his underneath bits properly.  ;D

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 14:56:48 »
 :D Fantastic Heldi!

It make you feel good being in control. More for the animal's sake than anything, keeps them out of trouble if they understand their role and respond to commands. ;)

Three cheers to your 5 year old too ;D ;D ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal