Author Topic: Mini greenhouse  (Read 4175 times)

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
Mini greenhouse
« on: October 07, 2008, 11:28:33 »
Hi

Just wondered if someone could tell me if a cold frame is a small greenhouse? I'm new to this so sorry if its a daft question! I dont have room for a full sized green house plus dont think it would be safe with my footie mad son   :-\

I have seen tall thin plastic ones basically shelfs with a plastic cover are these any good? Obviously the cheaper the better but dont want to end up spending money on something that is useless!

Thanks

lucy

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Mini greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 11:37:10 »
They're not the same, no. If you're short on space (as we are) then the mini greenhouse is the way to go. Make sure you fill the bottom with bricks though!

I love my plastic mini greenhouse - started my toms off a month early this year than before, plus they didn't end up leggy from being indoors. Currently each week I'm adding a seed tray sown with salad. There's room for 12 trays in there, and that will give us a continuous supply of salad all winter. Then back with the toms early next year.

It's not very useful in the summer - I had a couple of toms in there and you have to leave the door open or they'll cook, and then they don't get water from the sky... no better than the outside ones but a little more effort!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 12:18:09 »
Clearly it will depend on what, and how much, you want to grow but I find my mini greenhouse useful all year round.  In spring it's full of tender plants I'm growing on for planting out after the frosts; in summer it houses cuttings, summer sown seedlings, and plants that appreciate some protection from slugs and snails like radishes and leaf salad; and over autumn and winter the more tender cuttings and seedlings stay in there and are joined by tender plants that need shelter like Pelargoniums and Fuchsias.  It's not really that different to how you'd use a cold frame but if you lack space, I'd say the mini greenhouse is your best bet.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 13:20:18 »
Hi

Thanks for the speedy replies new to growing my own veg or should i say new to trying to so i have lots of questions  ::)

At least thats one to cross off,  mini greenhouse it is then.

Once again Thankyou

lucy

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 13:36:17 »
It is very versatile - as seen from our posts! I wouldn't rule out a cold frame though, it's better if you're on holiday as you can lave the top off, and it's certainly less wobbly! Just for me, this is best... Horses & courses!

Neither one should disappoint!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 15:22:59 »
My mini greenhouse from Argos was a birthday present and has been brilliant, obviously not as good as a real greenhouse but for a small garden good.  The plastic cover has now, after many years disintegrated, the cats used to sleep on the top which didn't help.  Looking for a replacement cover, any ideas or shall I just be extravagent and buy a new one.  It is good for bringing on seeds and on a hot day just unzip the cover.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 15:43:12 »
It will obviously depend on the dimensions, but if you put 'mini greenhouse replacement covers' into Google it gives lots of hits.  Hope this helps.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 17:14:25 »
ebay also have them, thats where i got my first replacement a couple yrs ago, but i got my last replacement at wilkos this spring.

Bean_Queen

• Half Acre
  • growfruitandveg
summer Mini greenhouse
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 10:40:20 »
It's not very useful in the summer - I had a couple of toms in there and you have to leave the door open or they'll cook, and then they don't get water from the sky... no better than the outside ones but a little more effort!

my placcy greenhouse is chock full all year round ... the cover comes off in the summer, and it gives me loads of space for starting off my veg in celltrays.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 20:56:12 »
Get one that won't tear. Mine blew apart, seams ripped when the temps got low and wind blew hard. And when the weather warmed up I'd have to be there promptly every morning to unzip it before the sun hit it or the seedlings would fry. the only good part of my experience was the frame and shelving have been put to use in many ways so it wasn't a total loss.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 11:31:51 »
I love mini greenhouses, I use them with the covers on inside my glass greenhouse early in the season as extra protection for early tomatoes etc, then they go outside in May as 'hardening off' shelving, and after that they go overwinter into my storage polytunnel for storing pots, nets etc. Great things! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

kingston boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 17:15:51 »
Ref to mini green house covers.

EBAY !!!!! Theres all sorts on there, if you dont like that kind of site  use the big seed merchants. They have all kinds as well.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 17:30:41 »
I have a 6ft tall, 6ft long, 4ft wide plastic greenhouse which originally cost £50.
The replacement covers are only £12 from homebase.
I find that they last longer if you cut small hole through the sides and attach the guy ropes to the frame rather than the plastic. i.e. less wind damage.

My cats also like sleeping on the top, so I can't have tall plants on the top shelf.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 10:08:15 »
I have a 6ft tall, 6ft long, 4ft wide plastic greenhouse which originally cost £50.
The replacement covers are only £12 from homebase.
I find that they last longer if you cut small hole through the sides and attach the guy ropes to the frame rather than the plastic. i.e. less wind damage.

what a good tip, i'll definately put this tip to use, thanks :).

ancienne brittanicus

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 16:50:10 »
It appears that the plastic covers shrink after one years exposure to the sun.

What might be a good idea after the first years use is to reduce the size of the frame by cutting off an inch of the tubing both in length and width to avoid the stress-tearing.

You might have to do the same the following year.

Ancienne brittanicus

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal