Author Topic: Chicken feed  (Read 6271 times)

jellied

• Not So New ...
Chicken feed
« on: December 19, 2008, 07:10:07 »
Just on the verge of the chickens arriving. They come with a small bag of food but planing ahead I wondered what after that?

I can't source a local supplier yet but seen these things on ebay, all seem to imply they are to be used to balance out their diet, some more expensive than others:

Farmyard pellets:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220314977791

and

Pultrey corn:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220314978267

Mash
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170276046040

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Chicken feed
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 08:21:58 »
we get ours from an equestrian supplier who does poultry feed as well, 7.70 per bag of pellets, damped with water , same as mash then..a few handsful of corn, all the peelings boiled up, any potao or bread scraps, all the weeds and slugs, snails and brassica /lettuce leaves or old plants you can find..or look for farm suppliers, that postage looks a bit steep  :)

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 09:48:37 »
It may be worth asking at your local pet shops, their dog biscuit/meal suppliers may well also do poultry feed,they may be willing to order you some. The prices from EBay including postage and packing seem way over the top to me .I get my layers meal £5-75 for 25k, pellets are 25p dearer.As for scratch feed (chicken corn) I get a bag of wheat £4-50 for 25k . OK I source mine locally but I feel sure if you look around you will get it cheaper than the EBay prices quoted on those links ..
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 09:52:23 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

jellied

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 16:19:06 »
Thanks - the postage is a bit toe curling but if I can't get it locally [here in West London] I don't have much choice.

Good point about pet shops though - and likewise there is riding stables near by that might do such a thing.

With regards to the feed itself - is there a difference between pellets and mash etc ? Should I buy a bag of each and alternate it or mix it together?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 16:38:18 »
mash is just mashed pellets, we wet ours a bit, as the chooks are ex-battery, they eat it better as that's what they're used to...what sort of girls are you getting ?

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 16:46:09 »
layers pellets for all the time.

Corn once a day.

Vegetable scraps as and when.

1 bag of corn and 1 bag of pellets lasts about a month and half.

jellied

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 17:47:14 »
Ah - that's much clearer as to how much and what to feed them.

I had not even thought of quantities yet - good point!

We're getting an Eglu and getting one of each of the Ranger and Pepperpot [ i think]. still a month away but very excited.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 23:29:19 »
Ah - that's much clearer as to how much and what to feed them.

Hens should be fed about 1 teacup of food per day although mine get a bit more.  They will eat as much as you give them!  I mix 1 bag of pellets with 1/4 bag of mixed corn and some grit mixed in too.  With the weather being cold, I currently also feed mine layers mash mixed with warm water. A warm meal to warm their little bellies.  They also get greens scraps and bread too. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 18:24:29 »
With 3 girlies from Eglu, we're still only just past half way through the first sack after 9 weeks. But they also do a lot of free ranging and get plenty of leftovers such as rice, pasta, spuds, pumpkin seeds, bread, spag bol... bacon rind... old egg shells... rhubarb crowns  :(

Had the second 2 egg day today, one of which was 64g... a personal best, c'mon girlies! Very even, solid shells with a lovely colour yolk so I'd say their diet is pretty good.

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 01:32:01 »
In our area blackburn £7 for layers pellets,
£6.50 for mixed corn!

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 19:35:54 »
layers pellets is all you need to give them. it contains all the necesary egg production ingredients inlcuding powdered grit. If in doubt read the ingredients. Feed scraps etc to keep the food costs down, but not instead of pellets.
Quantities consumed depends on the age of the hens older hens eat more. If you stat getting through a lot more food than normal its usualy rats eating the pellets.

2 mistakes I made in the early days of hen keeping was to underfeed the hens. Hens should always have spare food. if you are feeding them daily and they eat all the food they are not getting enough food and the weaker hens will be starving. This will hit egg production badly. But it is also a problem keeping rats away from spare food. 2nd mistake was to over feed on corn. Corn should be a treat eg to get them in at night. If you give them too much they will lay less eggs. I feed no more than 1-2 handfulls on 12 hens a day.

Hope this helps.

Oh almost forget never let their water run out

5.50 a bag of 25kg pellets if I buy 4 at a times

Peasticks

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 21:25:58 »
If you haven't already found some pellets nearby, Pets at Home sell layers pellets - there is usally a store in every town so there should be several in London.

Keep the Eglu Grub feeder topped up and they will take what they need. If they aren't laying they will east less so don't panic.

jellied

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 15:23:06 »
Thanks - I tracked some down in Pets at Home near us following some advice. I asked at Christmas time but the bloke said they don't stock it. Back there at the weekend and they sell both pellets and mixed corn. Just in time as the girlls arrived today.

Very excited and this is before my kids have got home from school.

Old Central

• Half Acre
  • One day we'll build some walls.
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 15:07:31 »
Hi Jellied

Small world. Ours were delivered late morning yesterday - were you before or after us?

OC

jellied

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 15:16:36 »
Ours arrived at 2.00 I think. True to their word they phoned on Friday to confirm the date and time slot of 1 till 3.

Man arrives at 2.00, erects Eglu, has cup of tea. Talks through construction, talks through birds, lets us handle them, trims wings and then leaves. It felt very much being left alone after the mid wife has gone home - it suddenly dawns on you you're the responsible adult now!

No eggs yet, but it's only 24 hours. Very excited. Having thoughts about raising the run off the ground in a raised bed type thing and putting bark or whatever down.

Old Central

• Half Acre
  • One day we'll build some walls.
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 17:20:10 »
Sadly I wasn't at home but sounds like the same routine. They were very slick with phone calls, etc.

You are right we also have to work out the rotation or long term location.

Given them names yet?

OC

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 20:45:56 »
Good luck with your girls. Be a few week yet before they lay.

les65

• Quarter Acre

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 23:09:54 »
G'day

We are in SW London and have had chickens since October.

There are several farms in Claygate and Chessington that sell hefty bags of everything you will need.

email me if you want more details.
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

jellied

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 10:51:53 »
I've found a source for food thank goodness - Pet'R'Us in Brentford stocks pellets and corn, and there's a horse/farm supply shop not that far away either. I think i'll go there when i need some straw for my strawberries.

Next thing is some Aubiose that people mention to go in the coop, i've found it on ebay but a local supply would be better.

No eggs yet... >:(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal