Author Topic: smelly dog  (Read 9003 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
smelly dog
« on: December 17, 2008, 21:14:29 »
anyone know what we can give maisie, the smell fills the room and positively reeks..I've got bob martins vitamins which are supposed to 'reduce flatulence', she's been on them for 2 weeks now with no visible difference...help,please, I'm thinking of getting myself a gas mask  ;D

betula

• Hectare
Re: smelly dog
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 21:48:05 »
Have you thought about changing her diet.This seems to be the most obvious cause.Good luck.

mike77

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 22:55:35 »
my stafford has a habit of doing this and if anyone does come up with a cure i would love to hear about it!!! worst part is she will do it then hop off the couch and give me evil eyes as if to accuse me of the act :-\
best of luck in your quest ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 08:46:53 »
ours is a staffie, too, maybe it's an attraction of the breed  ;D

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 10:19:30 »
I don't think you can blame any breed - particularly!  Dogs do fart and with sometimes disgusting effect!

Have you tried charcoal biscuits?  They will take some of the pong out of the smell - but try different foods to see if they cause less wind.  It is as a result of the breakdown of the food in the gut that they do fart - I feed mine on Chappie tinned food (it has the least amount of waste and is made of chicken & rice) with biscuits.  I give the labrador a slightly different biscuit (I think it is similar to Dr Johns working dog food) and my lurcher  has straightforward wholemeal biscuiit (and she does fart less!)

One friend who lived in South Africa had a huge Rhodesian Ridgeback dog that whenever it was going to  fart it raced out of the room as they used to tease him and say how horrible it was - so he learnt to be discreet!

Old Bird

;D

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 10:54:47 »
Try having 5 BIG dogs farting  ;D
We have very little trouble and we feed Wagg dry food, the only time we have a wiffy time is if they have something different in their food, on the whole dry food is less likey to give dogs wind, we take them on a very long walk after their xmas dinner and they are not allowed sprouts  ;D   ;D    ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 11:23:33 »
might give the chappie a try  ;D
she won't eat dry food, we tried that for months, she's quite happy on the meat and biscuits, it's just sometmes it smells like diahorrea  :o ;D

gardentg44

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 07:49:47 »
(might give the chappie a try  ;D)
she won't eat dry food, we tried that for months, she's quite happy on the meat and biscuits, it's just sometmes it smells like diahorrea  :o ;D
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

gardentg44

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 07:57:20 »
sorry cannot post quotes yet

please dont give your dog chappie that will make it worse

you only have to open the tin to smell why

(rotten fish) my dogs called maisey too but shes a great dane,

she stinkstoo ;D ;D ;D
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 08:49:50 »
Can dogs be intolerant of wheat? I know what happens when I eat it  :-X

Or do the biscuits contain sugar? This can feed the bad bacteria in the gut.

You could try adding digestive enzymes and probiotics to the diet - perhaps best to check with a vet about dosage though.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 10:54:42 »
Is this a new problem or has she always done this? If the former it could be a change in diet or ageing or she might have developed an intolerance or allergy. I have 2 cockers. mum never has any problems but her daft thieving daughter occasionally gets stomach upsets usually after stealing chocolate or onions!

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 19:31:30 »
I think she's eating stuff outside, keep finding her drinking nasty water outside, she's always been a smelly dog, just realised, I bought the wrong dog meat so we'll try her on the chappie I bought yesterday and put her back on the other meat , fingers crossed  ;D

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 08:58:03 »
I can recomend wagg to , they dont smell of roses like it shows on the pack but you dont have to open the windows!
Apparently its the aloe extract thats in it that does the job.

good luck
x sunloving

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 16:18:32 »
thank you, old bird, the chappie has worked, very many less 'stink bombs' and she's eating and enjoying her food much better,
the food smells, I agree, gardentg44..but at least the dog doesn't  ;D

waitingforland

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 11:24:21 »
Wheat Gluten is the biggest cause of flatulance in dogs. You need to find a "Gluten free" complete food or if you feed with meat then get G free mixer. Meat also has a flatulant effect but you will help with the choice of mixer you add.
Staffy's and other large chested breeds are most prone to gas problems i'm afraid and i speak from experience  ::)
Someday soon i hope to have some land of my own!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 11:42:09 »
It's also a big cause in humans.
Janet.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 14:13:48 »
well, the chappie seems to have cut it at least by half so we'll keep with that  ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 16:12:56 »
I was going to suggest adding asafoetida to the food :)

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 01:50:47 »
Gotta say, Staffies do smell the worst. I have had 5 dogs, 2 of which were pure staffies. They fart the most and by far the most smelliest!
We buy a hypoallergenic food for our staffy, by skinners and is called field and trial, I think. Its £5 for a 2.5k bag. (farting has eased since being on this food) Burns is another good one as is James well beloved. Buddy, got bored of the latter 2 and refused to eat them after half a bag! fusspot!
Our Staffy cross doesn't do such things. well she does, but they aint so smelly! She's on Wagg food and is great on it.

Whatever next?

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 16:51:54 »
We have 2 Border Terriers, Blue (male 6 years) is good at letting you share his smells whereas Vicky (female ((3 years)) as if you couldn't guess) rarely does and they both eat the same food!

Blue is better on dry food but has always had problems going to the loo and so they get tinned now and again - which works too effectively on Blue (can't win).

Blue is allergic to all sorts of things that dogs like, trees, grass, red meat, white fish but a good £6 tablet every day in the summer keeps him under control (thank heavens he is insured). I don't think the insurers would pay out the the pong problems though!
Happiness is leaf shaped

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal