Author Topic: high sex drive frogs  (Read 3871 times)

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
high sex drive frogs
« on: March 08, 2005, 15:13:07 »
been out in the garden this morning cant believe how much frog spawn is in the pond i know i have a big pond 22 foot by 24 foot but i have never had so much spawn either the frogs are very happy in my garden or i have a loads of frogs with a high sex drive , wish the old man with take a note out of there book.

Dig For Victory

• Not So New ...
Re: high sex drive frogs
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 13:54:50 »
Make sure you're feeding him plenty of home-grown organic produce, and he should be able to rival any turbo-charged frog.

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 20:00:31 »
thanks for the advice dig i will try that

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 20:26:34 »
Dibber, how deep should a wildlife pond be ?? I was told 60cm at least.  Have a very small garden but would love a small pond (pondle)?   ;D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 20:28:42 »
Sorry Dibber, just seen a similar thread started by Lottielover.  It's all there !
Bye for now !

;D

new potter

• Not So New ...
    • Helping gambia children
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 20:31:48 »
mine 3ft deep and is fine over the winter
hope this helps
np

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 20:38:39 »
not sure how deep i think they say 18inch the min but my pond is 3 foot in the shallow and 6 foot in the deepest part. but mine is also for fish i dont think u have to have it so deep if it is just for wildlife

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 20:45:52 »
Thank you to both of you !!

:D

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 12:44:41 »
Dibber, how deep should a wildlife pond be ?? I was told 60cm at least.  Have a very small garden but would love a small pond (pondle)?   ;D

Just to add to the information provided in other threads.

A pond should ideally be a minimum of 2 foot deep but would benefit greatly the deeper you are prepared to dig - I'm now on pond mark 3 and every time I have finished I have said that that will be the last time.  Low and behold, a few months after I have finished I have read somewhere about the advantages of being 3/4/5/6 foot deep and hence I'm planning a bigger/deeper pond again.

In short make sure it's at least 2 foot deep, if you can be bothered digging deeper and your budget allows it then keep going as far down as you can.  Remember though, extra depth is always better than extra surafce area so if it's a choice between a big shallow pond and a small deep one, the latter will always be better for the wildlife.

Not sure how you plan to build your pond but if you are planning on using liner then I've just bought some .75mm Butyl (with a lifetime guarantee) on e-bay for my small pond for £28 inc P&P - I've checked elsewhere on the net and it's at least double that.  Give me a shout if you're interested and I'll dig up the name of the company that's doing it.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2005, 13:39:30 »
Hi Antony,
Thank you for that information.  I really appreciate everyone's help with this.

I think my garden will be too small for a pond anyway, unless it is a very small puddle !  ::) LOL

Bye for now !

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2005, 15:35:43 »
Marianne - my garden is rather small (8m x 6m) but I have a pond - it's a rough oval about 8ft long and 5ft wide at the longest points. One side slopes gently in, so the edge between flower bed and pond there is blurred.

But if you really feel you can't get a pond in, get a bird bath or small water feature, or even a barrel pond. The addition of water into a garden attracts so much wildlife.
gone to pot :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal