Author Topic: Mincemeat recipe please!  (Read 2865 times)

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
Mincemeat recipe please!
« on: November 08, 2007, 08:29:23 »
Does anyone out there have a really good tried and tested mincemeat recipe, that DOESN'T include suet? 

I have made one in the past, but can't find the recipe now!  Will be googling later when I've time, but I reckoned someone on here must have one!  Pretty please?!  :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Mincemeat recipe please!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 12:07:36 »
why no suet?

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 12:31:24 »
Because I can't buy any here in France!  I don't like the idea of beef fat anyway, and as far as I know there isn't a vegetarian option, like Atora have. 

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 13:44:40 »
When I was in Italy & couldn't get suet, substituted unsalted butter for mincemeat & puds.....great success. Any use?

HappyCatz

• Quarter Acre
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 16:57:50 »
Yes, I agree with Alishka, my recipe uses either suet or grated butter, but make sure the butter is really cold before grating! :)

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 17:32:56 »
Thanks Alishka and Happy Catz - I will try butter; maybe freezing it for a while would make it hard enough to grate.  I usually make quite a lot of mincemeat, and view the cost of the dried fruit I didn't want to spoil it by doing something stupid!  But I imagine that the butter makes it taste even better! Still no good for the figure, but who cares!   :)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 17:58:16 »
Y'know...I'm thinking back down the years, but can't remember grating the butter? Rather, I think, I melted it & stirred it in?  And if butter isn't 'good' for the figure, can't see that suet's any improvement - and poss. better for the arteries too? :-\

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 18:19:00 »
i could always post you some vegi suet :)

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 07:09:56 »
Thanks for the offer Cambourne  :)
I'll try with butter first, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 09:25:11 »
Lindsay, I'm not sure, but certain that it'll be fine 8) At first, I used it as necessity, both for mincemeat and puds, but then when I was back in the UK continued to use it as choice. Certain, tho, that I gently melted it for both mixtures & stirred it in - and that it was unsalted butter. :)

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 09:33:48 »
Thanks for all the help Alishka - am off to shops now to get unsalted butter and brandy, the fruit is all prepared. Can't wait - afraid not all the mincemeat willl keep until Christmas!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 17:15:01 »
How did it go>?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 17:24:04 »
OH says you are better to melt the butter so it coats the fruit and prevents fermentation in the jars, or if you are unlucky all over the cupboard!! Her recipe says to warm the mincemeat with suet anyway for this reason (Delia).
 ???

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 17:40:43 »
I melted the butter as you all recommended, and stirred in well - and the mixture is now sitting in the jars. It looks great, and smells even better - drooling just looking at it!  Can't wait for an excuse to make some mince pies to taste it - my daughter's home from Uni this weekend (and its my birthday) - that makes two excuses! 

Thanks for your help!

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 13:01:17 »
I made a big batch of mincemeat using delia's recipe last year. We still have quite a bit left over and it is gorgeous! Have already made the first set of mincepies, which I took into work. I couldn't wait to try it to see if had matured well.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 14:04:53 »
Hubbie has 1/2 a jar left over from last year its a little dry but a little brandy will sort that out :)

Hes going to make up a couple of batches of pies with it at the end of the month to help get him in the mood :)

I dont like mincemeat or christmas puddings so i a have a small quanty of frozen cooked apple for making apple pies which work for me :) Hubbies fav christmas pudding is from Adams brewery in southwald its £15 but he loves it so i will drive down and collect that before christmas. They have a good wine shop that does some of out fav NZ wines so i will stock up on them as well :)

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 21:01:02 »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7081038.stm

Hope those in the UK aren't condoning the eating of mince pies on Christmas Day
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal