Author Topic: how much can you take off?  (Read 1377 times)

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
how much can you take off?
« on: December 05, 2008, 08:04:27 »
Taken on another plot this Autumn that as a very neglected apple tree.  Have look in my gardening books on how to prune.  But they don't tell me what % I can take of.  Would a third be to much?  Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks inadvance.

gardentg44

• Hectare
Re: how much can you take off?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 09:03:29 »
Not an expert on this but they say prune back
2 3rds new growth
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 09:11:35 »
I found this site had good info: http://resources.cas.psu.edu/TFPG/pruning/slide1.htm

Going by what i have read so far, i think its best to start trying to open the centre of the tree to let more light in.

Sorry i couldn't be more help.

Neil

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 09:37:01 »
OH is in a similar position, new plot with old apple trees not pruned for many years. I'm no expert either, but my Grandmother has sage advice; cut out the dead and diseased wood, any crossing/rubbing branches first. If this is more than one third of the total tree, do nothing else this year. Clear the ground around the tree of weeds and grass and consider a compost/manure mulch to keep it weed free. I put cardboard around the base of my trees, water it and mulch over the top, works a treat.

Next look to prune for overall shape, if you overdo this you will get a lot of new growth ('water shoots' ; first year new growth which is thin and whip like) at the expense of any fruit so less is more, you can always prune a bit heavier in subsequent years when you tree has started growing more strongly. Aim to remove no more than one third of the tree at a time, old trees can be a bit shocked by drastic pruning. Look to keep the interior of the tree as open as possible (so a pigeon can fly through it!) so remove any badly placed branches.

Then the tricky bit: pruning to stimulate fruiting. Try and identify your tree if possible so you know if it is tip or spur bearing, can be difficult to tell at this time of year, but if it fruits see if the fruit is at the ends of branches, or on short stubby 'spurs' coming off the main branches. If you just cut the ends off the branches to make it smaller, if it is a tip bearing tree you will cut off all the bits where fruit is going to form! Try and cut the smaller branches and sideshoots back to the fatter 'fruit' buds: these will bear the flowers and fruit next year. It sounds bit complicated I know, but there are loads of online sites that can be more specific, hope this helps a bit!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 16:46:45 »
If it's an old tree, stagger the pruning over several years if you're planning anything at all drastic, otherwise the shock could potentially kill it. If it's a young tree, be as severe as you need to be.

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 22:57:08 »
many thanks to you all for the great advice. Have printed it off and will take it to the site and have a good look at whats there. 

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 05:31:04 »
This is pretty much the same advice as above but has a few pictures which may help.
http://www.weekendgardener.net/how-to/prune-apple-trees.htm
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/html/ec/ec1005/
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 05:41:16 by Baccy Man »

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 10:14:47 »

Thank you Baccy Man.  the diagrams are really good. I've now found out that the tree is at least 10 years old.  So a little each year me thinks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal