Author Topic: My "Grot"  (Read 10589 times)

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
My "Grot"
« on: August 27, 2004, 09:38:13 »
I just had to show you my Grot. William O told me about Hypertufa on a different board and this is my first Grot. I am so pleased with him!

The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

William O

• Half Acre
Re:My "Grot"
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 09:49:00 »
Hi Plocket, nice to know you're pleased with me ... or was that the grot you're referring to  ;D

Your grot looks quite a happy chap, with a big smile on his / her face. Mine have to do without mouths and are a bit more grumpy and sinister looking with fiery red eyes (some glass marbles I saved from when I was a kid) and thick eyebrows. The baby elephant is rooting between the rose and hydrangea, and appears to be quite happy.

How's progress on the staggered "wheels"
Happy Gardening

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 09:56:36 »
Come on you two, fess up, how do we make one?
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 10:03:29 »
Hi Doris it really is great fun.

The basic material is Hypertufa (1 part cement 1 part sand and 2 parts peatmoss - which I've substituted by multypurpose garden compost)

There is quite a good link with lots of info. I was surprised how easy it is to make and use.

http://www.efildoog-nz.com/hypertufa.htm

Thus far I've made two grots, a baby elephant and some Tufa stones with holes in it for my hardy succulents. But I won't stop there.

Happy Gardening

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 10:31:53 »
What a brilliant idea you two!!! How about some piccies of yours then William? Love to see the elephant.  :D

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 10:35:15 »
Would love to, but I have to get acces to a digital camera or scanner first .... So you'll have to be a little patient with me  :-\
Happy Gardening

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 10:54:55 »
Thanks William, This could be a good project for 2 very bored teenagers next week! Looks like fun ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 13:22:47 »
Of course I'm pleased with you William, and my Grot! And I didn't want anything too scary otherwise Little Plocket might have had nightmares!!!

Coppit has reminded me that Geoff Hamilton brought this stuff to GW viewers YEARS ago. It was William who told me about Hypertufa and how it is being used for more that rocks and tubs nowdays. It is great fun and well worth a play.
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 16:05:36 »
Mrs Grot has appeared! I think she may have to be moved away from Grot because I don't want the garden to be taken over by baby Grots!

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2004, 17:57:38 »
Oh Plocket - your grots are great, especially Mrs. Grot - is that an earring I see :D  Would love to have a go at them but I dont think my dogs would appreciate faces looking up at them from the borders ;D ;) :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2004, 19:00:17 »
Hello Gardengirl! You do indeed spy green earings - Little Plocket's addition (to make her [Mrs Grot] look more feminine!). Mrs Grot has now been moved to a quieter spot where she is going to keep an eye on the bird feeders, and scare away any rogue cats (including mine!). I'm hoping the pair will mature nicely - they are both in shady spots so may even get a layer of moss on them. Fingers crossed! I'm hoping others will be inspired and we will soon have a gallery of Grots to admire.....

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2004, 19:12:18 »
Plocket they are lovely. I may just try to make one myself when I get some time to myself one of these days when schools are back. Making your own planters also looks interesting, I'm always looking for rustic looking pots that are different from those mass produced ones available at the garden centres. I also like the weathered look, have you tried brushing with live yoghurt, I heard that speeds up the weathered look but have never tried it myself.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2004, 19:20:11 »
Hey Jesseveve!

I think I am correct in saying that William has put milk on his elephant, but I haven't put anything on mine. I haven't any spare yoghurt handy (only strawberry flavoured!) and can't help thinking that it might go all smelly and horrible! Both are in shady places so hopefully the moss etc. will get to them fairly quickly anyway.

Do have a go at making a pot - and have a look at the link William suggested because it has lots of ideas.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2004, 23:04:55 »
I didn't realise you had such talent Plocket, those are excellent, here's one I made earlier...
Joke no I didn't :o 8) I must have a go tho. ;D

Roy ;D

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2004, 09:22:36 »
He he! Actually Roy you recommended a link which showed that picture so I have already seen it. Amazing doesn't quite cover it! My grots are just a tad smaller!!! I hope they will become green and mossy, and I can only wait and see!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2004, 12:56:52 »
Te He! here's another one I lade earlier...

Roy ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2004, 21:59:33 »
Plocket did you see Graham Norden show Sat night 6pm? A young lady teaching us Hypertufa and how to make a pot that went terribly wrong :o but was hilarious and I thought of you. ;D ;D ;D

Roy ;)

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2004, 14:08:23 »
Didn't see Graham Norton Roy, but that lying down grot is absolutely fantastic! Is it from Heligan?

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2004, 14:30:00 »
Sorry Plocket it might help if I gave the correct name of the presenter and show. It was Denis Norden’s 6th Laughter File, and the American girl was desperately trying to make a Hypertufa pot that kept collapsing and sent her into fits of laughter and me too! ;D ;D ;D

Yes it was Heligan Gardens its picture we took whist on holiday in Cornwall, I believe it to be called Mudaid, try this link…
http://www.heligan.co.uk/home/home_lant/page7_lant_large.html

Roy ;D

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2004, 18:56:01 »
The link is excellent Roy, but I think your photo is better because we can see much more of her. Stunning! That's what I call a garden sculpture! I have the book of the redevelopment of Heligan and would love to go. It's nice to see such natural looking sculptures - I wouldn't mind knowing how big she is though. I have assumed larger than life!

Still didn't watch Denis Norden though!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal