Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 1807 times)

Moonbeam65

• Half Acre
Insurance
« on: November 18, 2008, 07:52:01 »
Like most associations we carry public liability insurance,Recently the council asked us to increase our cover to indemnify there staff  who might visit our allotments.

We have told them to get on there bike as there staff should be covered by council insurance and we now have banned all council staff from our site unless they can provide us with proof that they are covered by the council insurance.

They now have to write to us if they wish to visit our allotment site and provide the  insurance details before we let them on needlessly to say they are not happy with us but its there own fault.

Is any allotment associations out there having the same problem.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 17:16:52 »
We have been advised to extend our public liability to include people working on our site... I thought tradesmen had to provide their own!  :-\

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 17:25:27 »
Hubby says that trades people HAVE to have their own insurance. Ask them for a copy of the P.L. Insurance don't just take their word for it  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 17:28:08 »
The NSALG still suggest that we take out extra cover "Just in case"  :-\

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 17:30:45 »
Is something going on here? We have public liability insurance with Newspace. They have just been taken over by Smart & Cook, a subsiduary of AXA.

Last year the form merely said that it was arranged in conjunction with NSALG; now it says that unless we are affiliated to NSALG our insurance is not valid. As a previous Committee ceased our affiliation several years ago, we're not members. So to get insurance we have to pay £2 a head (from a £12 rent!).

Anyone else affected by this?

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 17:33:12 »
You always had to be affiliated to the NASLG to get their deal... the "Nottingham" breakaway have a similar tie-in. I couldn't get anyone else to even consider insuring our site!  :-X

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 01:19:07 »
So to get insurance we have to pay £2 a head (from a £12 rent!).

Increase rent to £14 to cover costs.  Even with the extra £2, it works out at less than 4p per day rent.   28p per week to keep an allotment -  If my rent was only £14 I would not be complaining.  A good deal for what you get.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal