Author Topic: Getting society members involved/ community spirit ethos  (Read 2467 times)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
Getting society members involved/ community spirit ethos
« on: January 04, 2009, 17:06:58 »
We have just restarted the "working party" at our site. This had run in the past, but not been that successful in terms of attendance. We have had a reasonable turnout so far, but I am thinking of ways to encourage further participation.

I am thinking about bringing up the following suggestion with the other committee members:

All society members must attendance at least 2 working parties throughout the year. There are 24 slots avaliable -one midweek and one at the weekend so I don't think this is unreasonable. Any member that is unable to attend can either send someone in their place or pay £20 per working party. Obviously I don't want to isolate any person, particularly older people who may worry about being given heavy work to do. People would volunteer to do the tasks and tasks can be choosen based on people's fitness and skills.

I think it is important to develop a community-based responsibility for maintainance of the site.

If people do not comply they would loose their plot. If people are unwilling/unable to volunteer themselves they do have 2 get-out clauses (money/sending someone else)

Do any grounds run systems like this? What are the pros and cons? What problems have you found?

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: Getting society members involved/ community spirit ethos
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 17:21:36 »
We've had quite a few working parties this year, which have - on the whole - been well attended. But you can't force people to attend; as you say, there are older folk, or those who can't commit to certain days.

Our Terms & Conditions state that members will, "Assist with working parties to help maintain and improve the site." Not all do, of course. And some members help in other ways - mowing the communal paths, or doing odd jobs outside of formal working parties. And there are always a few selfish ones....

I know what you're trying to achieve, but I feel a "softly-softly" approach is better. The members have got to feel that the site belongs to them and they want to work to improve it. They will put pressure on the few who won't make the effort.

And as a PS: Have you looked at the insurance issue? We had public liability; we now have employers insurance as well, which specifically covers accidents to anyone "employed" by the Society - whether paid or not - and is designed to cover working parties.

And we find sticky buns passed round at the end quite a good idea!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 19:42:50 »
we have working parties, only when something needs doing, it's discussed at the meeting then the weekend after, usually sunday, it's the work..we do a full english breakfast at lunch times, seems to help, plus, we have bbq's and bonfire nights, we have the odd one or two who don't get involved but there are only 15 members  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 19:48:40 »
We have aorund 110 members but only about 20 are active... helping with the plant sales and things...  >:(

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 17:01:20 »
Our work parties are voluntary. So far we've had one this winter, to start the job of filling the many holes in the lane. Three tons of gravel were used up in a couple of hours, but I couldn't be there myself due to a church committment.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal