Author Topic: "Ladies in Lavender"  (Read 2423 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
"Ladies in Lavender"
« on: December 03, 2008, 00:34:00 »
We just watched (a few years late) "Ladies in Lavender" filmed in Cornwall.
What a beautifully designed film.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

betula

• Hectare
Re: "Ladies in Lavender"
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 00:44:47 »
Lovely film :)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 09:35:29 »
I went to the cinema to watch this ONLY because it was set in Cornwall. I still don't understand how it got it's title though.  ???

Beautiful film
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 12:04:12 »
I went to the cinema to watch this ONLY because it was set in Cornwall. I still don't understand how it got it's title though.  ???

Beautiful film
The title was given it by the author of the short story from which it was taken. Perhaps the story played up what they wore?

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 13:26:10 »
It's a lovely film :)  I think the title is a play on the "I shall wear purple" poem?  I might be wrong but I always assumed that the ladies in the film almost fitted that role but not quite - hence the lavender?  I'll get me coat ....

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 13:28:21 »
I still don't understand how it got it's title though.  ???

It was about old biddys. Get on any bus, now the over sixties travel free. It stinks of lavender.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 16:39:38 »

It was about old biddys. Get on any bus, now the over sixties travel free. It stinks of lavender.
[/quote]

...unless there are men on the bus..then it stinks of.... ??? ;)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 17:14:36 »
The writer/producer said on the DVD that he found the short story in an old leather bound book in ??Prague?? can't remember- so the lavender ladies poem would have to be pretty old also I guess. The women in the book were supposed to be in their 40s but he changed it to women in their 70s. Didn't seem to harm the story and I loved all the quirky little vignettes he added, what we call "typical" of British films, and sorely missing in American.

It made me want to see Cornwall which we missed. Have heard it has  its own flavor, lovely light and scenery looks positively wonderful.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 19:28:25 »
According to next week's Radio Times, it will be on Channel 4 on Thursday 11th December at 1.30 p.m.

valmarg

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 20:15:56 »
According to next week's Radio Times, it will be on Channel 4 on Thursday 11th December at 1.30 p.m.

valmarg

Thanks! Reading Global's post has made me want to see it. The only film I knew with 'lavender' in it was that oldie...Lavender Hill Mob? something like that?

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 23:14:55 »

valmarg

Thanks! Reading Global's post has made me want to see it. The only film I knew with 'lavender' in it was that oldie...Lavender Hill Mob? something like that?
Those two actresses are naturals. One said they've known each other for ?50 yrs.? so playing sisters was a snap. Reminded me of my husband's maiden aunts who lost beaus in WW2 so never married. A tough era. Well, one actually was not allowed to marry her guy so she said she'd not marry period! And she stuck to it.

Rustygoat

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 15:40:58 »
Reading all the comments about 'Lavender Ladies', got me thinking of a film set in Liverpool!! I think. Based on people at an allotment site.  I think it was filmed last year, does anyone know the name as my daughter is asking about it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal