Author Topic: Re: Tee Gee Help needed!  (Read 3148 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Tee Gee Help needed!
« on: November 04, 2008, 18:53:07 »
Hi all,

I have removed the last two postings from the  'Basics' forum under the above heading and placed them in here.

Now that the correspondence has become decidedly 'Computer / Internet' based I thought it best before someone complains.

Thanks Glow,

I have found the script line; <body onmousemove="closesubnav(event);">

But I am unable to remove it
 ???

I have looked on all my templates and the text in question is on some and not others   ???

It appears in faint rather than bold text, suggesting that I am looking in the wrong place to alter it.

Can you suggest some way in which I can remove it and do as you say?

As I said I am not IT literate and I have just followed the 'Dreamweaver' format  parrot fashion but somewhere I must have installed this piece of html unaware of the problems it can cause.

Any further advice would be appreciated...........TG

As an add on to the above I have carried out the following;

My website was checked on the Firefox browser and all seems OK.

I have downloaded IE8 (I never use IE normally) and have done a check here and all seems to be OK.

So really I am stuck as to what I can do further to help the situation perhaps you 'IT Wizards' in here can help me out.

Thanks in advance....TG

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 19:21:51 »
If you want total control of editing and using windows you could use notepad but that is a bit cumbersome. Better would be to use a modern text editor. On windows I use PS Pad, which I believe is still available for free download.

WARNING.

Make a complete set of backup copies somewhere before attempting to modify any complex file or you could spend weeks sorting the mess out.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 23:35:34 »
TeeGee
I dont have a copy of dreamweaver and never really used it as I can write raw code and do all my web work at home and at work in text editors (usually notepad++) but what you would need is to be in whatever mode lets you edit the HTML script direct. You should be able to get the answer from the help files or google

Making a duplicate of any file before altering text is always a good idea.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 15:16:10 »
Thanks guys for your input.

I have had a look at the software you suggest (and use) and basically 'Dreamweaver' is similar with a few bells & whistles.

Basically I compose my pages in a WYSIWYG format with the option of going into the code pages and making specific alterations when I want.

BTW my website is always backed up on an external hard drive in case my PC crashes.

My pages are all in CSS format and the basic stuff is set up at the start e.g. fonts, backgrounds tables etc and I have formed a few templates to assist me further in my page layouts, hence me being unable to alter the code as suggested by Glow.

Regarding the 'mouse over' situation I now can recall the reason for this it was simply I wanted my links to be in plain text with no underlining so I set up the facilility for 'mouse over' links.

So apart from any broken links (and I think there are a few) the link- mouseover system is working.

When I built the site I made checks on how it would look in various browsers and settled for Firefox and MS-IE as this suited most of my viewers.

These are my stats this morning;

MS Internet Explorer =49.7 %
   Firefox                     =24.1 %
   Unknown   ?          =21 %
   Safari                         =3.8 %
   Mozilla                       =0.7 %
   Opera                       =0.4 %
   Netscape                   = 0 %

As you can see, the two I have mentioned cover around 75% of my visitors.

Which fetches me to Rosies problem and that is; Tell me which browser you use? and I will make a check if it is not any of the two I have mentioned.

As an add on could I beg on the good nature of you A4A  users and ask you if you are having any problems with accessing my website?

The reason I ask is I am about to give the site an overhaul before the start of the next growing season and if there are any problems I would try and resolve them during the overhaul.

I am hopeful that these problems are minimal but nevertheless I would like to address any faults that there are, and it is only by external response like this that I can find out.

I look forward to your response.......TG

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 15:45:51 »
Tee Gee,

I have just had a little potter round a bit of your wonderful website and no problems.  I am with AOL who do often have problems!

Thanks

T.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 18:34:00 »
The underline of a hyperlink can be removed with simple css and the font colour altered as well. doing links with scripts can be risky due to paranoid androids disabling scripts at the browser.

Code: [Select]
a {text-decoration:none;}

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 21:33:19 »
I've had a quick look at the site and it appears to display well in Firefox3 in Windows XP. The error reporter lists a number of errors, mostly trivial but should point out the 2 titles per page and the two instances of <div id="masthead"> on each page. All IDs must be unique. Try using <div class="masthead"> if you require multiple usage of the same style. The ID is used by scripts to refer exclusively to a sole instance, and a multiple occurrence could cause problems with script action.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 01:22:11 »
tg i get 404 errors clicking faqs links and photos on the home page,
everything else looks good

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 09:00:26 »
So do I LBB, but you'll find that the links work if you go back to the home page and click on them AFTER visiting other pages (the links at the bottom)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 13:47:13 »
Just wanted to say a big thank you to all involved, I am now able to access Tee Gees web site again, I', so pleased :) :)

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 18:56:22 »
Whats Happening :-\ I have just tried to access Tee Gees sight through the Japanese Onion thread and both addresses shown just lock my screen. The only way out is to reboot. Is it just my system? I', with BT broadband if it makes any difference.( meaning what do I know!)

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 19:00:29 »
I have just accessed Tee Gees site through the address I had book marked and thats ok, so its obviously something to do with the addresses posted on the J.Onion thread - so thats alright then isn't it?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 19:03:22 »
Just fine with me.

SO clever!!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 11:15:41 »
Thought I would update you on the situation with my website.

I am still updating it and it is my hope to have the revised version up and running before the end of the year.

I too have found a few anomalies in the course of this exercise and hope that I have now rectified these.

I had always  planned on improving the photography on the site this winter, however, when I found out about these problems I thought I would give the whole site an overhaul and this is proving to be quite time consuming, which is not surprising considering there are over thirty thousand links to be checked, hopefully in the end I get them all connected  ::)

This time I have included a lot more graphic rather than text explanations on how I grow my stuff. Plus; I have given the site a face lift and a sightly different page layout and background colour, I hope you all approve.

Just a word of warning to those people who have 'book marked' my site;you might find you have to 'refresh' your link once I have uploaded the revised edition.

I did consider uploading the revised pages as I did them but in the end I thought this might create more problems due to the changes i.e. In the changeover; have 'orphaned' a number of links which would show up on your PC's as broken links and 404's etc so I decided against it.

........and that's basically all I have to report for the moment.....TG

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 12:39:13 »
Good luck with it, TeeGee, it will be a monumental task, but stay calm, test all your links as you go along, and in as many different browsers as possible, but especially in firefox and IE.

Don't put up the new site till you're 100 percent sure it works, even if it means delaying a bit.  We're more than happy with the site as it is and I'm sure that the new year's face lift and improvements will attract a lot more visitors.

:) :) :) :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 13:00:51 »
Hi Tee Gee
You mentioned that most users access your site with Firefox & IE, and that you have downloaded IE8. Just to let you know that most people using IE have a much older version - mostly 5, 6 and 7. (I've got some details somewhere, but would need to dig them out if you were intersted) These may make some difference to how users view your site.
Hope this is of help

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal