Author Topic: AVG Firewall Warning  (Read 2301 times)

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
AVG Firewall Warning
« on: November 21, 2008, 19:22:40 »
My antivirus firewall is telling me that "Application Java(TM) Platform SE Binary is trying to establish a remote connection"

Anyone out there in cyberland tell me what this actually means and is it safe to allow it!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: AVG Firewall Warning
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 07:42:06 »
Java application is usually assosciated with Bluetooth which is used to link devices together so they can communicate and work along side each.  Other than that I am not sure on the rest of it.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 19:46:22 »
If you have java installed, check which version it is. Java might be trying to check it's server to see if there is an update.

That's whats the internet says anyway ;D

Neil

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 17:34:49 »
JAVA is a protocol that is being used in computers more and more as time goes on, not just for Bluetooth.
Most internet graphics uses JAVA and will give you an error if you are not using the latest version. I'm not sure why AVG should be giving a warning of this sort unless you have just installed it and the install has not finished correctly. Are you getting a grey bar across your screen, near the top, saying some content has been blocked? Try clicking on it to unblock the programme, as nilly71 says, it's probably trying to update itself.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 17:55:34 »
Nice avatar, Fork!

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 19:49:10 »
Java isnt a protocol and isnt necesarily associated with Bluetooth

Java is a platfrom independant software language that will run on any PC using the JVM (Java Virtual Machine).

The error you are getting is because the Java application is trying to connect to a resource (eg file, disk space etc) that isnt available because its being blocked by your firewall I dont have the free version of AVG but what you need to do is add the java program to the list of exceptions ie the apps allowed to access remote resources.

Unless of course you dont want the app to access the internet!

HTH
Glo
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 20:16:47 by glow777 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal