Author Topic: The wonder of Woolies  (Read 11549 times)

carolinej

• Hectare
Re: The wonder of Woolies
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2008, 22:04:47 »
I just remembered woolies and littlewoods were always next to each other. Littlewoods always had the better cafeteria. Where did they go! slipped away with C&A I expect, though you can still get C&A abroad.

Went to Spain to visit my son last week, and bought a jumper from C & A in Malaga. Very nice too for 10 euros ;D

cj :)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2008, 10:56:09 »
Yes,could find yourself humming That's the wonder of Woolworth's ;D

I love some of the old tunes,I,d like to buy the world a coke and something it with love.Apple trees and honey bees and great big turtle doves,it's the real thing.

Remember Tick a tick a Timex tra la laaa..........

Getting a bit carried away ;D

All the beautiful tunes in the world and you sing jingles.

I should blame myself really as I use to spend an evening now and again composing and playing jingles in a recording studio. The owner used to sell these to advertising companies and as they were rubbish I always took a recording fee instead of royalties as they were never going to make me famous.

I can't remember Thats the wonder of woolies, perhaps it was one of mine. Hum it to me ;D

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2008, 10:57:51 »
I was very sad to hear about Woolworth and not just because I have some shares in them!

I haven't been in Woolies for quite some time now.  My local supermarket sells most of what I used to buy in there and so much more convenient when doing the grocery shopping.  However, I always pop in there during the Spring to see what shrubs and trees they have. 

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2008, 19:57:31 »
 Yep Woolies holds a few memories for me as well.

However, we are living in a cut throat economy and unsuccessful businesses will fail.  It will be interesting to see how long Wilkos and the other stores will last.  Will the online shops kill off the high street?

Is it possible we will see sea containers dropped off in large car parks (old aerodromes may be) with walk throughs to sell goods?  When empty the containers are taken away and replaced with full ones?

Will we have any money?

Bill

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2008, 20:57:43 »
Amen to all that. :( :( :(

valmarg

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2008, 17:44:56 »
Well they ain't even going to make it to 12th night. Shame about the workers, must put the mockers on Xmas. We have 5 Woolies over here only little ones, but I expect that is a hundred or so out of work.

I know other stores will take over the buildings but we cannot support another supermarket, I am glad they are too big for phone shops, we have hundreds of them already. Wilkinsons would be welcome as they have not ventured across the water yet.

There was talk on the telly about primark and poundland, but I have seen their stuff and I reckon I can get better on the market.

Who do you want to see take over your local woolies?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2008, 17:57:08 »
ours was taken over by smiths years ago, then again, our local M&S has moved and we got a wilkies so well satisfied  ;D

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2008, 19:36:44 »
The most interesting Woolworths was in Nicosia just before the border started opening.
It was 3 stories high & the best vantage point for looking into the Turkish north.
I think that's all the people went in there for?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2008, 19:41:18 »
 :-\

Bit sad really to see Woolies go. Truth is, they have not kept up and I blame bad management. They never seemed to know what they were in recent years, a cheap store, a household store, a sweet shop, a music store...

TJ Hughes have covered all their old bases and do it better, and they ADVERTISE!

Sheesh, not rocket science is it?

;)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2008, 20:05:14 »

TJ Hughes have covered all their old bases and do it better, and they ADVERTISE!

Who is/are TJ Hughes?

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2008, 20:08:59 »
 ???

Ah. Maybe it's just a North West thing? Department store which does everything from furniture to knickers. Very cheap and not classy in any way, but value for money.

;)

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2008, 14:29:50 »
???

Ah. Maybe it's just a North West thing? Department store which does everything from furniture to knickers. Very cheap and not classy in any way, but value for money.

;)
ther is a t j hughes in Bristol but that is 10 miles away by car!
my daughter works for woolies and will be out of work on the 27th. she is a P/t shelfstacker ,the store is getting a small amount delivered, she is very sad but had to laugh at one of the deliveries cuz it was Woolies gift cards don,t think there will be a rush on them some how ;D
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2008, 16:19:40 »
Dear Ace
After having queued up in the Game Shop for a very long time, I think Woolworth should be taken over by Wii games.  Here in Enfield the must thing for Xmas for children is a Wii (no not a wee).  The shops are fast selling out.  I thought Woolworth was shut but it was still open but the queues were horrendous and they had no cheap seeds or gardening equipment.  Well I must just go and put on my make up, sexy underwear, and cook OH's dinner, after having been playing tennis, got all the Xmas presents, tidied the house and looked at my lovely allotment where the bean frame had blown down and the sprouts had blown or flown and the PSB had been completely eaten by the pigeons or whatever, even though netted.  If you watch Gardeners World tonight you will see my lovely allotment site, and Ken, Keith and Manuel but not me as it was not advertised that well and it was snowing that morning so I stayed in bed.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2008, 17:00:36 »
Please, please Santa, could you make over the empty Woolies spaces and turn them into POST OFFICES?

Now, there's a novel idea for you ::)  :(

Marg (the other one) I really feel for your daughter.. A dreadful time to lose your job. Hope the New Year is kind to her.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2008, 19:14:23 »
...............and as there's soooooooooooo much space, a real greengrocer, a real butcher and a real baker would be nice in there too  :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 19:21:09 by downtoearth »

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2008, 20:22:34 »

Marg (the other one) I really feel for your daughter.. A dreadful time to lose your job. Hope the New Year is kind to her.
[/quote]
my daughter bless her cuz she's had one hell of a year, remains positive.we went food shopping on thursday and everytime she saw a empty shelf she sang
"it's begining to look a lot like woolies"(instead of christmas isn,t that a irritating song they are blairing out in shops?)
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2008, 09:55:53 »
Who is/are TJ Hughes?
There is a T.J. Hughes in Tamworth. It's no relation to my husband or Son. One being A.J.Hughes and the other T.J.Hughes
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2008, 15:01:06 »
There's a T J Hughes in Lichfield.

valmarg

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2008, 15:23:48 »
 ;D

Glad it's not just me who knows of TJ's! Val and Shirl, don't you think they have stolen Woolie's customers?

;)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2008, 16:27:37 »
I just googled them because I haven't heard of them before.  They only have 50 stores so I don't think they were serious competition for Woolies 800+.  But maybe in the area they operate in they didn't help?  There don't seem to be any down here in London, but it's not that long since Wilko's ventured south, so maybe one day...........

My first job was with Woolies when I was 15 as a Saturday girl.  It was a tiny branch in a converted church.  In Woolies-speak it was a 'packet biscuit' store which meant we didn't sell loose biscuits out of those big silver tins!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal