Author Topic: The wonder of Woolies  (Read 11607 times)

ACE

• Hectare
The wonder of Woolies
« on: November 26, 2008, 15:44:03 »
I could see this coming a long way off. First they tried the catalogue, I mean who wants to order out of a book when you are in the shop, I like to see before I buy. Then it tried kids clothes before it turned into a great big toy shop. I have fond memories of woolies way back in time. It was a great place to buy an engagement ring for half a crown, which was then used as a futile attempt for a bit of hows your father.

I also see that MFI are in dire straits. I wonder if they will have a sale ;D

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Re: The wonder of Woolies
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 20:33:27 »
Its rather sad to see Woolies will be no more.  Also MFI.   We bought a new kitchen from them 2007 no doubt our insurance will now be void.  I cannot imagine Woolies going though.  Every High Street in the Country with a decent sized population has one.  All them jobs lost as well.  I have so many memories of buying in Woolies in the 50s and 60s.  I think my Mum had a job there for a short spell.  Evening of Paris bottles and I remember choosing a tin cooker toy from Woolies.  I thought it was great.  Also in the late 50s buying their cheap hair colours, cheap lipstick and so on.  A sad day and wonder what other high street name will go in the months ahead.

:( :(

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 20:38:20 »
Yes sad if woolies go. :)

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 20:48:17 »
they tried putting together a rescue package foe MFI, but the Allen key was missing

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 20:54:07 »
Sad times when a firm has been trading for 100 years. When I was very young didn't Woolworths be called the 6d store?

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 23:08:58 »
Yes it was Lorna.  I watched a programme on the TV last night about Woolworths coming over here about 100 years ago and what they stocked.  They were apparently big on Xmas decorations and everything was 6d or under.  Household goods were affordable to ordinary folk.  I know I have a very old glass in the house that had the Woolie decoration on it and msut have cost 6d or under. 

Shame.   :( :(

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 23:17:05 »
 :-\

Guess it's the way of the world. How many kids today get a kick out of pick n mix?

;)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 23:20:47 »
I'm heartbroken to hear about Woolies going under.

I could see this coming a long way off.

Me too, Ace, and I've loudly criticised the management and running of the company in recent years for trying to turn it into another faceless competitor on the high street in the name of 'progress' and killing its character in the process.

Now I know I like a bargain but in all honesty I'd willingly do without Lidl, Wilkos and the rest if only I could just keep Woolies. I can't imagine any other store keeping this particular household going as much as Woolies has done over the years (and my parents generation too).

Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 23:24:17 »
:-\

Guess it's the way of the world. How many kids today get a kick out of pick n mix?

;)

Ah, I remember the old pick n mix  ;D  Also, remember years ago when newsagents used to have jars and jars of various sweets to buy by the ounce in little paper bags?  A new little shop has just opened up where I live selling just that - rows and rows of jars full of all the sweets I used to buy as a littlun (don't tell Rosebud)  Pineapple chunks, sherbert pips, sour apples, bon bons etc etc.  It's a lovely little place.

Oops, on topic, it is a shame about Woolies but as Katy says, it's the way of the world isn't it?  Years ago we had a three storey Woolies in my town which did a roaring trade but it then closed down for a good twenty years or more.  It re-opened as a much smaller, more versatile store about two years ago and there's nothing special about it at all - bit of a jack of all trades these days, which is probably it's downfall.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 23:28:02 »
Remember taking my pocket money to Woolworth's at Christmas,could always get mum and dad great pressies.

Remember they all had wooden floors and ladies serving behind proper counters.

When my kids were young ,I remember leaving work and going Christmas shopping in the Bull Ring,Woolworth's was so crowded,you could hardly move,you had to battle your way through.I was younger then and up for it.
I would probbally get killed if I tried that these days ;D

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 23:29:22 »
I can remember the Woolworth's in Clapham High Street where there were floorboards that were pitted by stiletto heels!  All the goods were sold on slanting displays in a square shaped dark wood islands with a nicely dressed lady who had her own till and everything was put in a nice brown paper bag!

In the days before queues too!  ;)

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 23:32:42 »
Years ago, my mate and I used to go into Woolies every Saturday morning to have our photos taken in the little black and white photo booths.  It cost 40p so we used to pay 20p each out of our £1 pocket money  ;D  I also used to buy posters of my favourite groups from there to stick on my bedroom wall  ;D

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 23:35:42 »
My memory of Woolies, is my father buying a 127 camera for 2s 6d (five pieces at 6d each).
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 00:22:06 »
there are a number of companies looking to take over woolies including Aldi/Lidl.. which could be intresting.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 00:34:37 »
Perhaps this excerpt from the BBC sums up the real reason behind the "downturn"..and maybe state of british society of today.. ;D

"For nearly 60 years, Maureen Dulieu has been shopping at Woolworths. On this occasion, she went in looking for a Barbie pencil case and ended up with three pairs of rubber gloves and a diary. "
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • http://backgardenallotmenteer.blogspot.com/
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 01:04:52 »
I think they were daft to turn into a CD & toy store. Way too much competition, on the CDs in particular. I think they should have focused more on home goods, which is where they were always most useful, but decreasingly so... and yet there aren't a lot of competitors at a similar level. I mean, where do you buy an ironing board, if you don't have a big department store or an Argos, these days?
I'm 42, so for me, they've always been much as they are now - except that the toys and CDs have increased and increased, till there wasn't much of anything else left.

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 02:30:32 »
Wilkinson has taken over from them, i have been in a woolies maybe once this year and found it cramped and boring!Like M & S its had its day same as C & A did !
I can remember when woolies opened a 'super store' called woolco at the Hampshire centre in Bournemouth many years ago !!! it was a huge store in those days and we walked round in amazement !! It closed down about 22  years ago.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 08:05:05 »
when my ex-partner went to work for Woolies about 6 years ago, she was the most senior woman that had ever worked there. Amazing when you think of what they sell, and who to. That's what went wrong with Woolies - not enough women at the top

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 08:38:41 »
there apparantly still open today not sure if its business as usual or a firesale!

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 08:59:06 »
We always looked forward to taking the children to spend their christmas money at woolies. It was always the first shop to open in our town after christmas, usually boxing day.

Havent bought the pick and mix from there for years, since I saw a small child do a very wet sneeze into one of the containers :-X

cj :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal