Author Topic: Powdery Mildew on Squash  (Read 2277 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Powdery Mildew on Squash
« on: July 22, 2009, 09:37:55 »
I am growing  squash uchiki kuri and it is covered with powdery mildew.  Do other people find this variety particularly susceptible.  Funnily the Red Kuri right next to it is hardly affected.

Having some success with the milk treatment, but it does not seem to help leaves already affected.  Is it better to leave these or remove them.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
Re: Powdery Mildew on Squash
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 09:40:51 »
i'm trying this potion ;) myself as of this morning. i removed the most infected leaves first and left the least infected leaves then i watered the solution onto the plant and the surrounding soil.

how quickely should i see any results.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 09:46:45 »
I sprayed mine directly onto the leaves, added some yogurt and comfrey tea for good measure.  Have used nettle tea in the past, but did not have any ready.  Nettle proved very good for mildew on golden delicious apple leaves.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 09:51:17 »
oh i didn't know that about nettle tea will add that to my pest busting choices :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 10:40:39 »
I have found the best mildrew busting time for nettle tea is a couple of days of brewing when the mixture is still more or less clear just slightly brown and still smells sweet.  Apart from anything it does not clag up the nozzle. 

Have not used it on courgettes etc.  Tend to grow far too many courgettes and if one dares to show any mildew it is removed, and I avoid any suspectible varieties.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal