Author Topic: Moulting hens, one looks 'oven ready' 14 still in full feathers  (Read 3037 times)

cocopops

• Acre
First of all my hens are for eggs and pets and we have no plans to eat them.

They are all ISA's of varying shades of ginger.  The lightest coloured hen is one of the alpha females and has has no feathers on her brest and neck.  I had a bit of a panic and spoke to a friend who is a bit of a 'hen-head' and he said this was fine.  He went on holiday today hence I am asking on here.  I looked on earlier postings and saw photos similar to her and I am reassured that she is indeed moulting.

I am confused as to why the other 14 hens are still full of feathers.  It seems that I am the only one with hens still laying (most of my friends keep them).  Will they moult and stop laying or just carry on?  We have so many eggs that we give away lots to friends and sell a few to the local shop.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Moulting hens, one looks 'oven ready' 14 still in full feathers
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 19:55:19 »
we're still getting 9 to 10 per day out of our 17 ex-batts, plus, as they were a bit baldy when we got them, they seem to be growing feathers now,I don't know if they think they've already moulted but, they must be ok or they wouldn't be laying.. ???

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 20:28:37 »
Moulting can last up to 6 weeks but the feathers will always regrow.  During this process it is not uncommon for the egg production to decrease.  My hens moult for about 4 weeks during which time my egg production reduces from 10-11 daily down to as little as 2-3.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 07:41:30 »
Same as Cocopops. We have 10 hens and only one of our light sussex is moulting she looks terrible and i'm not sure if shes laying. We are giving her porridge with poultry spice in. I think what you're asking and i'd like to know is why just one?

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 11:13:22 »
Moulting usually  depends on when the chicks were born and when they first started laying.   Late moulting birds which start  moulting in Nov o Dec are usually your best layers. 
These tend to lose their feathers more rapidly than early moulting birds and tend to get the moult over in about 4 to 6 weeks.Then come back on lay...
When a bird starts its moult it goes out of production and its egg tract shrinks similar in size to that of a young pullet.
Moulting can take a bit out of the bird especially with late moulters as the day lengths are shorter so their feeding times are not as long .
They can be helped along by increasing their protein intake When moulting.
I usually change from normal layers meal to high energy layers meal during their moult and drop a bit of codliver oil in with their warm mash
Some I know introduce a bit of tinned pilchard in with their warm mash.
There is a way to tell if your bird is in full lay or coming into lay but I think moulting birds are stressed enough without being handled ..

Cheers .. Jim

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 15:43:00 »
Enough said, thanks for that Jim.

zaz283

• Quarter Acre
  • Life's just too short
    • Allotment Heaven
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 08:33:41 »
Hi cocopops... I'm going through the moult for the first time as well. Having judged my 4 girls would moult in Winter, I thought I'd have to knit them each a cardigan or bring them home to the central heating, thinking they'd be all pink & bald. Actually I see a lot of feathers around but no pink bits so I guess it happens gradually.

I'm still getting at least 3 eggs a day. Must be all the TLC they get!
We can wish & we can wish
But we can never have
What once seemed ours forever

http://allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal