Author Topic: Starting no-dig beds  (Read 3133 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Starting no-dig beds
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 18:44:25 »
what a big difference excellent job see what you can do when you turn the TV off  ;D

I only wish that was true!!! Don't have a telly and the garden and lottie still need soooooo much work   ::) ::) ::)                                                                           

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • http://backgardenallotmenteer.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 19:43:57 »
Yeh, I don't think the TV is my problem. I don't normally watch it till after 10pm, which doesn't really clash with my garden-time...
However, if I could prise myself out of bed earlier, *that* would help, as it's often the only free bit of daylight. I'm a hibernating hedgehog in the winter - just don't want to get out of my nest. :D

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 07:28:45 »
So its all the fault of "time management" eh? Dreadfull expression!!
Just realised you mentioned watering the garden while you are away and thinking that while you are still at the planning and preparation stages you should maybe think about watering systems i.e. a hose pipe buried with holes in etc a few inches deep that runs along your beds. I'm sure there would be loads of info on this site about them. Either that or you'll have to "cultivate" your neighbours  ;D

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 12:18:17 »
It depends what is under your topsoil and how deep it is. If its deepish, make sure its wet before you start your lasagna and maybe your first layer use well rotted manure.......then cardboard and layer up as you wish.

My soil is pretty good.......I was lucky.....and I found the beds needed no watering at all through the summer. And we had a hot summer the first year (hot summer? what's that then?) I usually top off the raised beds with grass clippings. Not too thickly, this forms a thatch with helps to keep moisture in the soil. I don't have any grass these days.......well ya cant eat it can ya ;D so I wait for my neighbour to get his mower out and go round with a big bag :D ;)

I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 12:56:58 »
Helen - why don't you use your brick planter with roses in it and shove some good soil in and add your garlic to there?  Garlic is - I have heard - good for black spot on roses and they shouldn't compete for space too much?

Good luck anyway - looks like a lovely garden with much "potential".

Old Bird

;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal