Author Topic: anyone else lack window sills?  (Read 1950 times)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
anyone else lack window sills?
« on: November 29, 2008, 13:35:36 »
our old flat was so small we only had one window sill, now we live in a house with tons of windows - but they all have strange split level window sills, so no surface big enough to put seedlings.  :(

Has anyone else come up with a way of working with sills like these? can you somehow fit shelves to them...?

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: anyone else lack window sills?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 13:48:41 »
I don't have windowsills either, bl**dy pain it is >:(

A tip here is to erect an ironing board near the window - but somehow that doesn't appeal :-\  In one room I've cut down a run of bookshelves so that they are the approximate height of the windows, but I can't do that in every room. Although peeps have come up with a variety of Top Tips I want to live in my place too - and I want it to look nice(ish). I'm guessing it's possible to make a temporary shelf for a window by screwing a hook into either end of the bottom part of the window frame, suspending from this a loop of fabric or cord, then into this loop positioning a plank of wood (trick I learned years ago when I wanted temporary shelving for books in a rented place). It's a student-y way of solving the prob. perhaps, but one that just doesn't appeal to me now. Any good for you?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 14:13:10 »
someone came up with extra shelving this year, can't remember who it was, maybe search would come up with it ?
just found it, by georgie, but it was a shelf on a windowsill so, sorry, no good for you peeps  :-\
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 14:16:14 by manicscousers »

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 15:39:56 »
the thing with hooks and cord sounds a bit wobbly - seedling pots seem to tip over at the drop of a hat anyway, and with a toddler round the place...!

maybe a permanent version, with a wooden batten to support the shelf?

Goodness knows when I'll get round to making that though!

bcday

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 16:47:11 »
Can you fasten a shelf to the wall under the window? I bought a "bookshelf kit" that consists of two decorative L-shaped brackets that are fastened to the wall and to the underside of a nicely finished wooden shelf 5/8" thick x 10" wide x 30" long.  It looks nice and is just the right size.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 16:59:29 »
I have the same problem although I have got "proper" window sills my son has made and fitted vertical blinds to all my windows (except  the bathroom which has a roller blind) I have cuttings on the bathroom sill and have decided that I am going to fit shelves over the radiators in the lounge and dining room. Fortunately all the radiators are under windows so plenty of light.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 17:37:42 »
I have window sill but they all face either east or west and then have building shading them to.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 09:57:36 »
I thought about those shelves that clip onto the top of radiators but there isn't a gap between the radiator and (mini-)sill.

Also the annoying thing about these windows is they do have sills, just on two levels, neither big enough to hold anything. So if i added a shelf as well it would stick out too far into the room

I need a way of making my split level sills into flat ones.

Why split level sills??? must have seemed a good idea in 1905. maybe they didn't grow seedlings in the house in those days!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 13:42:27 »
 I am not sure if I fully understand what your windows look like but you might be able to use one of those mini plastic covered greenhouses placed infront of the window. Just take the cover off  and you have a set of shelves that are light and easy to move when you have to.I use them in my conservatory because it gets too cold at night in the winter. I usually have a heated propagator being used in the bottom which raises the temp slightly when i use mine with the zipped cover.
I hope this makes sense  :)

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 14:05:33 »
Could you put a piece of wood along the lower sill to make it each the same level as the higher one?

That way it might be wide enough....
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 14:37:47 »
I am not sure if I fully understand what your windows look like but you might be able to use one of those mini plastic covered greenhouses placed infront of the window. Just take the cover off  and you have a set of shelves that are light and easy to move when you have to.I use them in my conservatory because it gets too cold at night in the winter. I usually have a heated propagator being used in the bottom which raises the temp slightly when i use mine with the zipped cover.
I hope this makes sense  :)

Duke

That's been my solution to the prob, Duke, when I've tried to seed early 8)....but without the heated propagator, which I don't have :-\

Other times I've seeded in the warmth in the house the stuff that's needed warmth/dark for germination,  then moved the seedlings to the unheated g/house to grow on, fleecing them at night....mind you I've been envious when I've seen pics posted here of plants way in advance of mine, but, you know what? Bob Flowerdew said that plants have a habit of catching up....and they do 8)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 16:09:47 »
My ideal house would have wide window sills, a large garden and greenhouse would be good, but it doesn't often feature in the estate agents selling points, large window sills, would rather have that than a gargage as I don't have a car.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 19:04:59 »
yes if gardeners designed houses they'd look a bit different!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal