Author Topic: Gas bill  (Read 1459 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Gas bill
« on: November 21, 2008, 14:47:43 »
Just got my gas bill, they have put up my monthly payment from £60 to £93 and they say Congratulations, you are on a fixed price 2011.  We have a 3 bedroomed terraced house.  Thank heavens for the heating allowance, better not spend it on seeds now. What with hearing about price rises at allotments and losing my purse full of money, not a very happy bunny.  Am £31.08 in debit, more jumpers and more digging.  No sound on my computer, will have to get the man back that I paid £90 to mend it.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: Gas bill
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 15:10:36 »
We're with StayWarm - it's a government-backed scheme for the over-60s. A fixed monthly payment for all gas & electricity, regardless of how much you use, based on the number of bedrooms and the number of people living in the house. It's cut a chunk off our bills. Try googling them.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 15:28:38 »
Thanks for that Trevor.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 15:50:48 »
Borlotti, give them a ring, have your last bills to hand with the amount of elec/gas you've used, and they'll give you a quote immediately.

They're the cheapest for me, cos I check every year, but they don't offer a fixed deal til 2011, tho.

Let us know what the result is?

Lish x

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 17:19:05 »
You can compare the different providers using comparison sites like u-switch, although I don't think that they include StayWarm.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 18:42:48 »
We've just got our quarterly it has gone up from £53 to £145   :o  I'm just going to go and have a lie down, if you don't hear from me in the next few days someone come round and pick me up off the floor.  :o  ??? :-\  :(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 19:09:21 »
Just had a look at Staywarm, sounds alright but you have to have your electricity from Eon. I've never been able to take advantage of the fixed price deals because we don't have gas as well. We only have propane gas.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 19:21:24 »
Holy moly to all of these increases!  What's going on??  We've just had our bills/letters in from our gas & leccy suppliers with refunds and new monthly payments but nothing like this!  We are with Atlantic.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 19:37:04 »
In the past month I have had the following monthly Direct Debits increased.

Car Insurance Plus £5
Dog Insurance plus £3.35 Excess gone from £60 to £80
Water Rates plus £5.
Electricity plus £14

Just wonder where it will end,  I am lucky I have my health (more or less) and a lovely family. I feel so sorry for folk who live on their own and are not very mobile as they must spend so much on heating

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 20:36:54 »
We had our oil topped up last week so I took the reading and have worked out that the Oil is costing us £6 a day to heat the house.   :o :o 

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 21:47:51 »
If your gas (and electricity) bill is based on an estimate, do take a reading and query it if appropriate. I did this with my gas bill and a threatened 50% increase was turned into a 10% reduction.  The gas companies are trying it on!
Keep Calm and Carry On

martinrowe

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 21:57:51 »
We received a similar letter two years ago from British Gas informing us that they were going to increase our monthly payment by 100% (double what we were paying).

I gave British Gas a ring and gave them a peice of my mind.  The woman on the phone decided to have a chat with her Manager (if she ever did).  She managed to agree that we will have a £5 increase instead of £35.  The reason she gave for this, was that they did not have a full years history of our energy use.  But if she could do it for £35, why send out a letter with such a big increase.

We promply changed to Scottishpower, we went with them, because we wanted to get rid of British Gas, and they were the first company to do door to door calls after British Gas decided to write to us.

I would give the company a ring and ask why such an increase, considering the news reported that faul costs have droped.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal