Author Topic: news just on the telly  (Read 5333 times)

elvis2003

• Hectare
news just on the telly
« on: November 21, 2008, 14:00:17 »
did anyone else just see the local news (im in birmingham today) it was a news item about plot holders,but i missed the first bit,i THINK it was saying that the council are trying to charge council tax for plots....surely not....anyone see the whole thing?
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

betula

• Hectare
Re: news just on the telly
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 14:06:49 »
I saw the news item,They are putting the rents up from about £30 to £120
Cannock I think.The council were saying it is not fair that the council tax payers have to subsidise a small amount of people. :)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 14:36:07 »
Oh dear once one council gets the idea......the sky's the limit!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 14:51:28 »
Yes,as it stands,I have to admit I would be embarrassed about complaining about a rent that is only a couple of pounds a week.

But I bet it won't stop there,it will probally keep going up.

Traditionally ,most allotments are cheap....another tradition going overboard? :)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 14:52:34 »

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 15:28:49 »
Hang on, isn't that the whole point of something like a Council tax!!!!  It's collected from everybody and distributed back out again to fund a host of services!!!!

If they want to play that game then I want my council tax reduced as I don't need to contribute to schools ( no kids) or care homes ( AP's in another tax regime) or NHS dentists ( like I'm ever going to find one round here).

They can swing for the costs of their new council building and re-organising into a different county/disrtict structure & I don't want to pay for fixing pot holes on the roads I have no need to drive on.

BAH.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 15:30:27 »
We could all go on a protest march carrying our spades.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 15:33:35 »
What does it cost the council to run allotments, anyway? In our case, next to nothing because they provide nothing except the land.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 15:36:36 »
Ours cuts the hedges along the road side of the site.

It also pays for the water which is on a meter.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 15:45:26 »
We live in the West Midlands and I'm afraid that if the rent went up to £100 we would have to give up the allotment. Would turn the garden front and back over to growing food,  Concerning the council and what they do for the site. We just get the play area's mowed a couple of times a year. They could always be put back to allotments if the demand for plots continues. Then they wouldn't have to do anything for us.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

dc2

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 18:14:10 »
I seem to remember a politician saying they were encouraging the green way of life .
Another promise I guess . >:(

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 18:35:39 »
We pay for our own water and get a skip in the summer but we rarely see any council workers doing any maintenance, I guess this is another ploy to try and drag more land back so they can build more flats.  :(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

mike.jones

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 18:50:17 »
I think this is disgraceful, especially in view of the current climate of encouraging as many as possible to grow their own, what with healthy eating and obesity etc. They interviewed some of the allotment holders who said they would have to give up if this went through, simply couldn't afford it. Providing allotments is a public service, just as much as providing a bin, repairing a road etc etc. We should be encouraging and lobbying our councils to provide MORE land for allotments and at a reasonable price. I am.

dc2

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 19:06:34 »
I think this is disgraceful, especially in view of the current climate of encouraging as many as possible to grow their own, what with healthy eating and obesity etc. They interviewed some of the allotment holders who said they would have to give up if this went through, simply couldn't afford it. Providing allotments is a public service, just as much as providing a bin, repairing a road etc etc. We should be encouraging and lobbying our councils to provide MORE land for allotments and at a reasonable price. I am.
Actually  providing land to grow on is not just a service its a legal obligation [if enough people ask for irt ]
guess they have found a way around that .
Agree with what else you said though and will be doing the same .

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 20:30:27 »
On the news down here a week or so ago it was said that allotment plots alongside the railway track are going up to £250.00 per year. There are people so upset about the wanten greed that they are threatening to plant Japanese knot weed at all the sites.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 22:55:06 »
kea,thanks for posting the link,its bad,but not as bad as i feared!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 09:36:06 »
I know we are in recession but it could still be a backdoor ploy to force people off the plots so they can sell the land :(
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

dc2

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 12:11:43 »
I know we are in recession but it could still be a backdoor ploy to force people off the plots so they can sell the land :(
You mean like politicians taking backhanders to sell the land off to property developers
About time we put a stop to these parasites and made me priminister
How about it
my policy's are
Free plots
free beer
Not to mention the sex  :) ;D ;D

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 12:29:37 »
Ouch! I know our rents will be going up next year though (Trafford), but not by anything near that increase. I find this sort of thing very annoying. The council funds plenty of minority schemes. My tax goes towards plenty of things I don't need/want. In the grand scheme of things a few £ a week is still cheap, but for plenty of people that is a large amount of money. I know on our site there are plenty of pensioners who, for them, this would be a large hit. It's disgraceful. 

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 16:05:22 »
I heard the story the other day, shocking.

Have to agree with what's been said - such a rise would force me of the plot and into giving up growing all together as I don't have garden room.

But I think that for our site they'd have a job getting it through on that basis as there is a large area of 'waste' land next tot he sites that used to be allotments years ago but has been left to revert now, and another fenced, unused area just down the road that the council want to keep everyone off but can't find a use for.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal