Author Topic: broad beans coming up  (Read 9555 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: broad beans coming up
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2009, 22:51:12 »
I had massive blackfly problems with my second crop last year. The problem with the overwintered ones was that while they were all alive at the beginning of Feb, half were dead by the end of March. I'll be planting them this year once the arctic weather seems to be past, and I'll bring them on under cover.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2009, 16:17:40 »
Yes, the plants can look very sad in the winter, some even black and withered, clearly dead but................ the roots almost always survive.
As soon as the worst frost is past, the broken off and dead ones send up new shoots. They have a headstart because of the rootsystem and we always harvest by the time the spring sown ones just started blooming. Most important, before the black flies.

A nice extra benefit is that after the broadbean harvest there is plenty of time for another summer crop in the same space.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2009, 13:47:35 »
BTW Robert,  I only sow Aquadulce's  in the fall. This is the type that I was talking about in the posting above.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2009, 16:31:28 »
MIne are showing at last!!  ;D

No sign of mine but your post gives me some small bit of hope.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2009, 16:35:48 »
BTW Robert,  I only sow Aquadulce's  in the fall. This is the type that I was talking about in the posting above.

Half of mine expired last February, that's why I'm waiting!

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2009, 12:34:34 »
the ones in pots in the garden are showing through about an inch high  ;D . Off to the lottie later to check on progress up there

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2009, 14:04:14 »
I think I've made a pigs ear if it ..... :P

I planted them back in early November in loo rolls in m conservatory, then as soon as they all popped through I moved them outside (still in loo rolls).

Then the ground was frozen for most of December, followed by Xmas, yet they kept growing!  Have just planted them out  at the plot today now the ground is unfrozen and the kids are back at school.

The are all about 6 inches high and flopping over! :-[ :-[

Anyone going to give them the last rites for me or will they still have a chance of making it??!!! ??? ???
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2009, 17:53:48 »
Nah Pippy, don't give up. See my posting #41 on this tread.
Ours looked kind of droopy this week during hard frost. Must say that this winter is so far the coldest since we started growing broadbeans. Fingers crossed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal