Author Topic: spuds for christmas day  (Read 2479 times)

chelsea dagger

• Not So New ...
spuds for christmas day
« on: November 11, 2008, 21:00:13 »
i am only in my 3rd year of allotmentteering so i havent tried it yet .Has anybody had a go, what spuds are best,are they seed potatoes  and when do you put them in the tubs or spud bags so you can grow them to a decent size for xmas, seeya,    mick

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: spuds for christmas day
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 21:09:28 »
2nd earlies are best, you need a variety that will mature quickly.  I've got Carlingford this year.  Normal seed potatoes, I ordered mine back at the beginning of this year when I ordered the rest of the seed potatoes.  Most of the big seed potato suppliers do them now.  Mine went in mid-Augsut outside in the ground but I'm in London, in colder places you might need to protect them.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 21:16:12 »
hiya, chelsea digger, nice to meet you  ;D
our spuds went in in september, in a container, under cover..ours were some of our own spuds that had gone a bit green, we covered them with some fleece when we had frost and they're doing ok..lots of the catalogues had spuds for christmas seed potatoes earlier in the season

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 22:11:15 »
I did Christmas potatoes last year, but drat I forgot to save some to do the same this year  :'(.

I used Charlottes. I put mine in the ground about August time and we were eating them for boxing day and well into the new year too. Delish.

When the seed potatoes appear in the shops again in December/January I'm going to try some in large trugs to get some really early earlies. Keep them in the greenhouse, others on the site did it last year too with very good results.

Welcome to the site Chelsea  :)
Lauren
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 22:33:27 »
i am trying them for the first time this year, like Ceres i also bought my seed potatoes when i ordered my earlies and second earlies at the beginning of the growing season. i can't remember the variety off hand as they (TM) sent me a replacement as they ran out of stock (I'll check out the label tomorrow and let you know the variety). mine are in a container and one extra in the ground, both outside without any shelter. both showing signs of wind burn and cold exposure. will see how they turn out. i plan to grow them for Christmas in containers in the greenhouse next time.

the one in the container has begun to grow spuds on the stems :o, see my earlier post for pictures.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 23:46:20 »
I ordered mine back at the beginning of this year when I ordered the rest of the seed potatoes.  Most of the big seed potato suppliers do them now. 

Most seed companies were selling potato sets in August at £8 plus p+p which I think is extortion.  How did you manage to store your sets for so long without them chitting in the dark or rotting?  Jan - Aug is a long time to store seed potato sets ???  My lottie shop sells all our sets for £1.90 - 2.20 in the new year.  If they will store,  I will buy an extra set ???
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 23:48:50 »
didn't have to store them they were shipped to me close to the time of planting which i did in early september.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 23:52:07 »
Mine too.  They weren't expensive - £2.99 is what I paid from T&M.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 23:55:50 »
Mine too.  They weren't expensive - £2.99 is what I paid from T&M.
Thanks.  I need to order a few packs of seeds from T&M so will look in their catalogue when it arrives. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 11:53:35 »
I planted Anya and Vivaldi (from Sainsbury's) in October. They're in bags at home not up at the allotment, so I'm not worried about not having seed potatoes with virus free certification etc.  Wouldn't risk it up at the allotment.

Plant four in each bag and eat the rest!

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 12:26:42 »
I grew some last year and was very disappointed with the crop. My own fault, I didn't water enough, watering is very important...............the right amount anyway ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 13:51:22 »
I'm very disappointed with mine this year.  I have already eaten them  ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 14:05:19 »
I planted 6 seeds end August. Tops are looking OK so far. Might dig one up soon to see what's what.

gonz

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 13:48:55 »
I planted my Christmas spuds in containers and all the tops are slimy and very dead so I dont expect any spuds for Christmas!   Never mind, there is always next year!

shaun01

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 13:50:14 »
its much easier if you just go to morrisons  ;D
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt.

Plough

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 09:02:04 »
Hi  everyone,

I planted some new spuds left from early season, some that were reject from the kitchen, so I put em in a suitable container at the back of the shed nice and cold. and planted them on October the 6th and there doing well so far.

There are some pics in my gallery. 

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 18:28:44 »
I planted my Christmas spuds in containers and all the tops are slimy and very dead so I dont expect any spuds for Christmas!   Never mind, there is always next year!

Sorry for late reply:  I find you have to fleece the bag if they are outdoors and frost is about.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal