Author Topic: WHERE ARE ALL THE HEDGEHOGS?!?  (Read 9474 times)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re:WHERE ARE ALL THE HEDGEHOGS?!?
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2004, 02:42:20 »
Iron, you lot Iron??? I just stretch em and bung them in drawers!!! OH irons his own shirts, cos of my bad shoulder (well that's what I tell him!) ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2004, 09:05:19 »
I'm with you Doris - after my daughter was born I gave up ironing as I was far too busy child-rearing.  The fact that she is now 19 and at uni has not changed this one iota.  In fact I'm pretty sure I only had my second, now 4, to make sure I could still justify this decision!  Tip: if you buy clothes that only just fit, they'll have to stretch a bit.  Stretched clothes show no wrinkles!  If that makes you walk in a somewhat restricted manner, just buy nothing without lycra

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2004, 12:56:37 »
 ;D Ceri!

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2004, 18:28:56 »
 ;D ;D Yes love it Ceri, but what about the high pitched voices of the males? I can't get in jeans now anyway let alone stretchy ones,its joggers for me, they don't get ironed though just cotton stuff. I run out of years to have any more excuses, 4 is more than enough and I think I'd rather do ironing. Did you see that poor couple with twins on the box the other night, my heart went out to them, all that crying, remind me why do we have children?
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2004, 14:06:54 »
What programme were you watching, Val?

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2004, 16:46:28 »
 ;DHi Spurdie, it was Who Rules the Roost, on 2 , think it was Tues. or Wed. at 8 o'clock.Any parent will tell you its the kids, they wait till your lowest point, then bam in for the kill....Going back to your original question, it seems on the nature boards on the beeb they are asking the same, we're not the only ones to have noticed the lack of them. ;)

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2004, 20:08:29 »
 ;D Hi Val
I noticed that someone had the great "idea" of having a party on the Beeb's gardening messageboard c/w pretend food and drink and snail canapes ... sound familiar?!?  I just about managed to eat all Carol's selkirk bannocks and haggis but I really struggled with the slug canapes! Did they actually "have" the party ( I only look in every few months)?
Re interesting tv programmes ... did you see "That'll Teach Em" last night? Brilliant tv! Can you believe that in the 4 weeks my daughter has been at high school she has not had a single lesson in geography, history or sewing!?!?!?

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2004, 15:11:49 »
Spurdie, my daughter is doing woodwork! She wont be able to sew on a button, but might be able to rustle up a nice hen house one day! ;D

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2004, 19:09:33 »
Hi Doris  ;D
I wish I'd paid more attention in woodwork when I was at school! I made a teapot stand many years ago (ahem!) and it's still in one piece. However, wouldn't it be a good idea if all kids were taught how to put together flat pack furniture? Those packs are SO frustrating and I'm sure parents everywhere would be grateful for their kids knowing how to assemble a bookcase in less than hour!

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2004, 16:31:00 »
 ;DHi Spurdie, they had the party when my computer was down..do you think they're trying to tell me something?. It didn't go down to well with the mods, I think the hangovers were a bit heavy lol.My youngest is now doing A levels and still waiting for sewing lessons and cookery, youngest son is 18, but he never got to use the tools in woodwork or metalwork, they had some but the teacher thought it was to dangerous to let them use them ???Goodness knows what my daughter did, she didn't do any of the above. She's doing A levels in art, design, media and maths, so perhaps she spent all her time doodling. :D Didn't watch that, I saw it was on but I hated school with a passion and still have a complete, no don't even think about it, feeling...youngest wants to be a teacher..groan, how could she. ;D

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2004, 11:55:25 »
 ;D Val
Is she mad!?! A TEACHER ?!? She must be VERY brave! The kids definitely rule the classrooms up here and they are not punished for anything! I remember one teacher getting assaulted by a primary 4 boy (aged 8) and only being kept in at lunchtime as a punishment. That child later on bounced my daughter's head off a wall, then went for her with scissors. I think alot of this bad behaviour goes unpunished just so the head can say "there's no bullying problem at this school" simply because nothing is ever recorded and it is all swept under the carpet.
I don't think sewing is being taught at high school at all! How they will sew on a button, take up their jeans, or repair any of their clothes when they are older, I don't know! Re using sharp tools, daughter had to sign a contract on kitchen safety before she was let loose in the school kitchen!!!
I just can't believe that drama is more important than geography though! Just think of all the lost young adults when they leave school!  ;) At least they'll be able to turn on the waterworks at the drop of a hat when they are stuck in the middle of nowhere, in the hope that a good-looking stranger will help them!!!  :)

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2004, 17:24:58 »
 ;DFunny thing is she isn't, she's tiny as well, just a bit taller than me...not hard I'm only 5', but she's a size 8. Its all in the eyes though, she could and does floor you with one look.Schools are getting more violent, well society is.What can you do, my grandchildren were being bullied by a young boy, but our Sarah had a word...he didn't do it again, so perhaps she's got the right makings of a teacher.lol.I think it went along the lines of... touch my neices again and you're dead, err maybe not ;D

They won't do any of that, their skills is getting others to do it for them...sew on a button? err why?I'll buy new.Its a throw away society. Blow the mens looks, its the fat wallet that does it, Is it me getting cynical or is life like that. What an awful thing for your daughter enough to put her off school forever. I just hate bullying with a passion.

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2004, 17:35:44 »
 ;DHave you seen Trail Rat around lately? Maybe he's busy with his new lottie. :)

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2004, 19:51:25 »
 ;D Hi Val
Hope your daughter succeeds and becomes a good teacher - she sounds as though she could sort out the country single handed! But would she not be more interested in becoming an MP? Tony Blair could do with a good spanking!  ;)
Yes, when we are old and sitting in our rocking chairs, watching re-runs of Ali G, reminiscing about how you could get a 3-bed house for £60,000 when they cost £5 million now, all our children and  grandchildren will be round with a pile of sewing to do! "Mum, will you take up my teflon coated bell-bottoms (they are in fashion AGAIN), oh, and sew some sequins on my overalls. And while you're at it, the new curtains I bought for £5,000 are too long - can you take them up for me?" And we'll be able to say "yes, dear, that'll be £20 per garment" and we'll spend it all on bubblegum and popcorn.  8)

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2004, 19:56:47 »
 :'( No, Val I haven't seen nor heard of Trailrat for a while now ... maybe the poor lamb went on holiday and got lost and doesn't know WHERE he is now ... BOO HOO! And he was SO young and had his whole life in front of him! BOO HOO!

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2004, 18:21:54 »
 ;DPainted the fence out the front today..not sure if I like it, but as I've already changed the colour twice, I'm not doing it again. I have so much trouble with colours until its done...too late then. It doesn't go with the green, grass, leaves, etc,Its a sort of turquiose colour...it was meant to be a light green..oh what the hell.I'll have to dig the plants up and grow purple leaved ones ;D trail Rat has probably dug himself in at the lottie trying to make a bit of the hard stuff in his shed from his spud peelings.thats why he doesn't know where he is..he'll come round when he sobers up ;D

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2004, 18:30:37 »
 ;D Turquoise, eh? Our neighbour has a turquoise fence and it looks fine! Dare to be different! You could paint your ducks in psychedelic colours and have them lined up in front of it!  :P

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2004, 10:08:20 »
 ;DThe ducks are already bright yellow, well 2 of them, The mother has her own pink shawl and a straw hat, like Gemima but different. Which reminds me I think its about time I bought them in....the shawl..and give it a wash and tidy up before the winter sets in ready for next year. I'll just have to tell the neighbours to wear sun glasses, maybe it will mellow in time.lol.

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2004, 19:52:09 »
 ;D Did you make them yourself from concrete, Val? I hope you gave one of them a pair of wellies!

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2004, 18:44:21 »
 ;DNo I didn't but there's a concrete place over on the Isle of Sheppey that sell them very cheap. £1 or 50p, sometimes a bit more depending how large they are, we have a run over once in a while and I got them then.Couldn't get the wellies on... Talking of wellies have you seen that advert on tele with the wellies...can't remember what it is now but the wellies are all colours, now thats what I call gardening in style.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal