Author Topic: 'avin a larf!  (Read 1874 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
'avin a larf!
« on: January 16, 2009, 14:43:10 »
Have you seen the price of Jamie Oliver herbs? How does this fit in to his campaign? And I wonder what Sainsbury's have to say about it? ;D

http://www.jamieoliver.com/email/jm04/index.html?isource=JM04W

ACE

• Hectare
Re: 'avin a larf!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 15:01:22 »
Now you can see why he is so keen on us getting our 5 a day.

My ole lady messed up some good food last year by 'trying something different' with a recipe that she downloaded from his advert on telly. I threw it in the bin.

It's about time Jamie and Hugh and all the other so called  celebrity chefs went back to their daytime jobs, Cooks.

That's all they are Cooks. Servants.
Housewifes all over the country do it every day, there's no magic in it. Even I can cook.

We keep getting these TV chefs foisted on us. The gullable fools that watch them are just as much to blame. Ban them from our tv screens and bookshops. Mrs. Beaton never took the P~~s why should they get away with it.

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 15:55:59 »
Wise words. That Jamies taking the P**s   :o £5 for a chill plant. I like the "no need to get your hands dirty" Comment. Some folk have more money than sense.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 19:11:10 »
well, our ready grown herbs at the plant sale will be going up this year, we usually charge between 1.00 and 2.00  :o
chillies last year were only 1.00 per plant as well , will have to re-think, looking at these prices

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 19:32:58 »

Think Jamie has lost the ' plot ' and has become a media    ' Icon ' --
  shame , I liked his earlier programes  and  thought he had the right attitude
   towards his chosen course as a ' chef ' with a difference, but is now a publicity
  seeking entrepreneur  --  oh dear ,  Jamie , go back along your path and find out
  where you lost us. !

flossx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 20:29:19 »
Well I think Jamie and Hugh have done a very good job in promoting good food.

Yes to you and me the idea of getting these "pots" may seem expensive and a waste of time.  However, there are people that do like fresh herbs and they live in flats and only have window shelves.  They probably also have more money than we do but "time" for them is in short supply.  There are also those that can not do gardening but want something to grow.  As you say there are also others that have more money than sense.

So the next thing is I doubt whether the "pots" make a high profit as they are organic, it is probably quite expensive to post them around the country and sealling them will not be easy.  If it takes 10 minutes to prepare the soil, add the seed, seal the packet, prepare the packet for postage and get the package to the post office (if there is one nearby!!!) then at minimum wage that will be nearly a pound.  This does not take into account costs of plant and machinery to make sure that the whole operation can happen.

I doubt whether these particular items would have been brought together and sold on a whim by Jamie.  I suspect that there has been some market reseach carried out before launch.  However I also suspect that the credit crunch has probably had an effect.

So all I think is good luck Jamie and well done for at least trying to help our society to change for the better.  Long may it continue.  Perhaps he should now give up his "Chefs" job and apply his skills to see if he can change the financial brains in this Country.  they certainly need something to push them in the right direction.

Bill

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 20:24:44 »
I agree they have both done a good job, and that's why I'm disappointed to see Jamie cashing in! And btw, postage isn't included- that's another fiver on top!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 10:49:04 »
I agree they have both done a good job,

Tell me how, or do you mean healthy school dinners that as soon as the education authorities said they were too expensive, he took a back step, perhaps it is try something different, ideas off the top of his head to try and sell slow moving produce. (I bet you won't get anything like it in his caff). No, pehaps its training chefs. Our tech has been doing that for years.

Hugh eating a womans placenta must have done some good, the selfish pulling up wild plants to eat, mushroom hunts that must be good, a lady died doing that down this way, it won't be long before somebody gets liver fluke through eating wild watercress.
Roadkill, unscreened oysters, all sorts of shellfish full of mercury, not good!

But I really expect what you really mean is free range chickens. They don't mind, warm, plenty of grub, loads of company, have you ever heard the expression 'bird brain' chickens don't know the difference. But don't buy a £2.00 chicken buy one of my £12.50 chickens. They are both dead!

What about the rest of the intensive farming? you can't get rid of it, we have more people to feed than we have areas to do it nicely. Now they could both say stop having so many kids, but there ain't no profit in that is there.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 12:57:36 »
I actually like Jamie and I admire how he has taken kids on the dole and given them a whole new life and career, and I appreciate how he has got off his backside and tried to promote the use of healthy foods and helping people to understand the dangers of processed foods.

I have to say a few months back, hubby and I went to eat at Jamies restaurant in Cornwall, we had an extremely lovely meal in a very beautiful setting and were given the best seats in the house overlooking the beach. It was a very wonderful afternoon and I would not hesitate to go back but I have to say its the only restaurant that I have ever been too that has a little shop in the reception area  :-\

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 17:56:26 »
Personally I can't stand Jamie, know wah ah meen.  He may appeal to residents south of the watford gap, but oop north he's an irritation you can't quite scratch. ;D ;D

Personally, if a product is endorsed by some so called celebrity cook, I will not buy.  Sainsburys has lost a lot of my custom by paying that prat Oliver loads of my money (notwithstanding what they pay to this bunch of inadequate politicians, aka the labour part via lord sainsbury.

Sorry, rant over. ???

valmarg

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 19:56:21 »
I agree they have both done a good job, and that's why I'm disappointed to see Jamie cashing in! And btw, postage isn't included- that's another fiver on top!

Seems way over-priced to me.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal