Author Topic: 2 Pea questions - 'Alderman' variety?  (Read 1544 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
2 Pea questions - 'Alderman' variety?
« on: November 15, 2008, 02:18:01 »
I have grown Hurst Greenshaft and Kelvedon Wonder in the past but for next year I have just purchased the pea variety 'Alderman' for a change.  My thinking was because it grows to 5-6ft tall I will hopefully get a greater yield.  I have 2 questions if I may;

For this tall variety,  am I best to grow them up wigwam canes as beans etc or will they perform better in straight lines ???

Do I need to sow in succession or are they similar to french beans in the fact that the more you pick the more will grow ???
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 02:19:37 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: 2 Pea questions - 'Alderman' variety?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 04:08:03 »
I grow mine in a pair of wide rows, each row about 6" wide with the two rows 18" apart and provide sticks as required.

For continuity repeat sow every 3-4 weeks during the summer period. Alderman is a heavy cropper with large pods and is my summer choice after pilot in the spring.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 14:41:15 »
it is a vigorous and tall variety so will need quite a lot of support in whatever shape or form you prefer - trouble with so called wigwams is that one side inevitably gets a different light/warmth perspective but in an open sunny spot shouldn't be a problem. It is considered a maincrop so as eristic says sowing is confined to the summer so you might want to use other varieties as well if you have the space and do keep picking them whatever you choose to do to encourage growth

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 14:42:56 »
I've grown Alderman twice and I like them a lot - you get loads and they taste lovely. I grow them in 2 rows like Eristic, supporting them with netting attached to canes.

I've found that they don't keep on coming forever like beans, after about 6 weeks or so of cropping they conk out so best to plant several lots in succession, say about a month apart. 

I've also found that they don't seem quite so susceptible to pigeon attack when young as shorter varieties - this may be rubbish but that's how it seems to me! I'd definitely still protect the seedlings though.

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 15:52:08 »
We tried these this year for the first time, up netting in a row with the runners  -  they're definitely robust and vigorous ;D
We were mightily impressed with their yield compared to Greenshaft (which does well for us) and will be growing them again next year ;D

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 18:01:02 »
I've also found that they don't seem quite so susceptible to pigeon attack when young as shorter varieties - this may be rubbish but that's how it seems to me!

Not rubbish at all. The lowest pods start being produced about 2 ft above ground level and out of pigeon reach. Further up they can only get at peas within reach from any perch they can find on the sticks or supports. They would eat every last pea if they could get access.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 19:05:11 »
I grow them up wigwams, and have no problems. They get to about six feet, so you need eight-foot poles or thereabouts, and wrap plenty of string round them to give them something to cling on to.

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 18:48:43 »

Not rubbish at all. The lowest pods start being produced about 2 ft above ground level and out of pigeon reach. Further up they can only get at peas within reach from any perch they can find on the sticks or supports. They would eat every last pea if they could get access.

ooh thanks! it's not just me then. I never thought of that.  :)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 18:54:54 »
Tomslottie send me some via a seed swop and I was impressed with this variety. I grew them up wigwams with 8 foot poles. They were a very heavy cropper. I didn't find them as sweet as I would have liked, but they were still good!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal