Author Topic: storing seed potatoes  (Read 8336 times)

debster

• Hectare
storing seed potatoes
« on: January 04, 2009, 15:32:00 »
bought my seed potatoes today and cos it was cheaper bought the second earlies and main crops too. last year i stored them under the sink in the kitchen (unheated) but they sprouted ridiculously where is the best place to store them. I have a concrete shed in the garden would they be safe in there, should i put them in anything?
thanks again
can you tell the gardening bug has bitten again ? ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: storing seed potatoes
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 15:37:40 »
I repeat - no windowsill??

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 15:43:33 »
even the ones im not ready for chitting yet?

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 16:07:35 »
I used to store mine in the upstairs bathroom. Quite the wrong place, but it worked very well - nice stubby shoots.

Now we've extended, there's no room in the upstairs bathroom (lost part of it to get into the new room), so last year I put them in the (unheated) downstairs spare room. But now that's been commandeered as an overflow Craft Room, so it looks like the spare bedroom this year! (Let's hope we don't have visitors!)

But they do need light, otherwise they bolt. If they're too cold, they remain dormant; if too warm, burst into life. Like bedding plants, it's a bit of a juggling act.

And I'm not sure I'd put them in an outside garage in this weather - minus 5 here in the sunny south all day, but feeling a lot lower than that!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 16:20:27 »
I always put mine on top of the wardrobes... the bedrooms face south so they get enough light..  :-\

Hosta

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 17:04:44 »
If we arent going to plant them till end of march, do we store them in the cold and light even if we dont want them to start sprouting yet ?  How long do they need for this chitting ?

This will be the first time I have grown them too, and bought them the other day same as you debster - tis all very confusing -   HELP  ???

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 17:10:07 »

if you do not want them to chit yet and, there is no need to chit them put them in a potato sack (paper ) and keep them in a dark,  cold frostfree place
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 17:13:52 »
thank you i just wanted to be able to store them until i am ready to chit them, so the sack and a frost free place it will be, if i can think of where to put them, the house is too warm the outside too cold mmmm???  ;D

Hosta

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 18:16:16 »
Thanks too.  :)   Am going to put them in hubbys garage in the dark . 

How long does it take for them to chit, just so I know when to put them into the light ?   Sorry, I know its probs basic stuff, but this is my first time.  I have bought first earlies, second earlies and main crop.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 18:21:21 »
i really cant remember sorry but not everyone chits to be perfectly honest, i do for some if i remember and buy them in time lol ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 18:25:35 »
But they do need light, otherwise they bolt. If they're too cold, they remain dormant; if too warm, burst into life. Like bedding plants, it's a bit of a juggling act.

I'm in this league

This is how I do mine;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Potato%20chitting/Potato%20chitting.htm

Click on the pictures to enlarge them!

Hosta

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 18:44:41 »
Thank you Tee Gee   :)

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 19:33:56 »
yes thanks

pieman

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 17:10:52 »
I've done exactly the same thing and came on here to ask the exact same question!

Currently I've got a tray of second earlies (Kestrel) and a tray of maincrop (Desiree) sitting on a kids bookcase in front of the patio doors which are on the north wall.

Heating's rubbish in my house so hopefully won't get too warm...

As I understand it, it doesn't matter whether they're first early, second early, maincrop etc - they all get planted once the risk of frost has pretty much gone, it's simply some take longer to mature than others. Bet I'm wrong though, so please let know if that is / isn't the case!

As frosts aren't likely to clear off til late March, I think I may have got a little over-excited and bought my potatoes too early...

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 17:13:49 »
As long as they are cool they'll be fine Pieman, if they get straggly rub them off and let them start again from the end of Jan...
Welcome to the site...  :)

stevieturnip

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 17:52:27 »
This is really helpful.  I've been wanting to buy mine, but thought it too early to 'chit' them, so it looks like they'll be going in the cold semi outside toilet - the one set aside for visitors :P

I was reading somewhere that you can 'chit' onion sets, but I'm not sure if that is the same process though. Something else to learn this year.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal