Author Topic: scaly mites  (Read 2378 times)

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
scaly mites
« on: February 28, 2009, 12:07:56 »
some of my girls have this scaly mite on there legs,how do i get rid please :( :(
Pauline

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: scaly mites
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 16:11:44 »
read about this yesterday, trouble is, my book's atthe plot and I'm not there 'til monday p.m., might be something on http://www.downthelane.net/   :)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 20:16:00 »
My Rosie gets it , read somewhere surgical spirit soak the leg scales in it and cover with vasoline. Not easy to do with a lively hen? will read up on how many times.

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 14:09:15 »
Thanks i ill have to try and catch the girls to treat them
Pauline :D

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening

*pixie*

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 13:17:53 »
Surgical spirit is a great way to help. Use it once a week for about 4 weeks. Treat the whole lot. Vaseline makes a lot of sense as it smothers mites. I read that their legs can look like they still have them for up to a year but its just the scales. The will eventually look normal.

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 14:44:38 »
thankyou,will try surgical spirit
Pauline

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 07:34:49 »
Just wondered if putting vasoline on the girls when they arrive would prevent them getting it ???

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 18:31:26 »
Done girls legs again today with surgical spirit,put stuff in dish put some seed on floor so i could catch them that bit was ok!picked up on of my girls, she struggled knocked dish that i had laid on the nest box ready to use and i got soaked with the stuff!!! ;D ;Dhad to change all my clothes when i got home, as i reeked of the stuff ,have to get more as that was the last do u thing she new that when she knocked the dish!!!
Pauline :D

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 13:00:29 »
Oh Pauline she saw you comming like my rosie not easy this is good but expensive to start with but easy to use?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IVERMECTIN-0-8-10ml-PIGEON-POULTRY-RABBIT-MITES-LICE_W0QQitemZ120369868369QQihZ002QQcategoryZ46292QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Dawn the above may be better for you as a preventive?
I used it a couple of years ago it was bad, white layers first week and brown layers second week so at least I could use some eggs. i just did not use the treated birds eggs for a week and were fine. The treated eggs were boiled and given back to the girls. Recycled eggs.

paulinems

• Half Acre
    • The fly trap plants
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 19:35:33 »
had another go today think i got them all now i traped them in corner with corn they not daft though saw what i was doing and tryed to escape even got georgy porgy!!
will try that Teresa if other dont work thanks
Pauline :D :D

labrat

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 09:44:52 »
what I use is protocon ointment (basically sulfur in vaseline). It's actually a barrier ointment for cuts and abrasions on horses. I smother it over the chickens legs and feet every couple of days and through a combination of starving the blighters of air, the sulfur being mildly toxic to the bugs and the vaseline softening the scales you'll soon have the problem fixed.

http://www.petdispensary.co.uk/protocon-ointment-4425-0.html

cheers

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal