Author Topic: Which chickens should I get?  (Read 6258 times)

jonny211

• Acre
Re: Which chickens should I get?
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 08:37:07 »
Hi Betula,

I wouldn't put an Eglu on an allotments... it'll be gone in no time and then straight onto ebay by said theiving oik.

Worries aside I'd personally go for a Maran hybrid, I started with three of these (a Bluebelle, Speckledy and a Maran Cuivree) and they've laid an egg each pretty much every day. This winter is their second winter though and two are moulting so not so many eggs. They're quite friendly and not too skittish so maybe good for a starter. If you want pretty looking birds I'd recommend Barnevelders & Buff Sussex.

However they're addictive so be prepared to add more when the bug takes hold.

chloe55

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 20:03:08 »
I have found 5 warrens for £15 for the lot, fairly local to me. However, they are 12/18mth old, the guy tells me they are still laying well. Do you reckon this is a good investment - my husband is worried we won't get much from them and then be stuck with hens that don't produce (not that I'm that bothered but he wants to get something out of them!)

Also, how much would you reckon it would cost for the upkeep of 5 birds? Including shavings, hay (I don't have grass), food etc?

Thanks for all your replies so far  :)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 20:45:19 »
Hi Betula,

I wouldn't put an Eglu on an allotments... it'll be gone in no time and then straight onto ebay by said theiving oik.

Worries aside I'd personally go for a Maran hybrid, I started with three of these (a Bluebelle, Speckledy and a Maran Cuivree) and they've laid an egg each pretty much every day. This winter is their second winter though and two are moulting so not so many eggs. They're quite friendly and not too skittish so maybe good for a starter. If you want pretty looking birds I'd recommend Barnevelders & Buff Sussex.

However they're addictive so be prepared to add more when the bug takes hold.

Thanks for that Jon :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 21:07:17 »
we get a bag of pellets, probably does our birds (17) for a month, costs us 7.70..plus, cooked scraps, weeds, slugs and snails..a bag of mixed corn, 8.25, they only get a couple of handfuls per day..we're still getting 9 to 10 eggs per day so they definitely pay for themselves  ;D

B7jac

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 12:11:03 »
I had no experience of hens and just wanted some free range eggs for my family !

I got 4 Warren hybrids (i think!) from a friend who knew a 'farmer' who was getting about 50 point of lay, he charged me £4 each !

I waited 2 weeks for them to lay as they were quite young, and have had 4 eggs every day since, well very occasionally i get 3 ! I have had them since June this year and must say that the red mite was a bit of a pain but we got there in the end !   ( I prob only needed 2 hens tho in hindsight!) I end up giving loads of eggs away !

The cleaning is quite easy really , I go down the garden every morning to let them out, put on my rubber gloves (which are left in the shed) clear the newspaper from the coup floor and put in the compost bin, renew the paper and change the nest box shredded paper when necessary ! Give them fresh water and fill the feeder with layers pellets, ( I also give any leftovers from the night befores dinner which they love!)

You always love your children more than they love you...

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 13:21:14 »
I forgot to add that hybrids should be less inclined to go broody which can be a nuisance (unless you want her to hatch some fertile eggs).

I say should as one of mine welded herself to the nestbox last summer and had to be 'broken' out of it in a seperate part of the run.

Have you been to the Practical Poultry forums, there's loads of good info there.

Jon

shaun01

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 13:51:47 »
i like mine hot and spicy  ;D
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt.

chloe55

• Not So New ...
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 18:33:06 »
Right, think I have decided to get some younger chucks! Just spoken to a joiner friend who is looking into making me a nest box for my shed and hopefully will have my hens in a couple of weeks. All your comments have been extremely useful. My husband is sick of the chicken talk now and has gone from not keen on getting them to ''will you just get them bloody chickens, that way I might get you back in my life and off the internet finding out about them!" Hee hee, little does he know it will probably only get worse!!  ;D

shaun01

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 19:53:13 »
dint get them yet if you wont young birds wait till spring  ;D
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 20:18:50 »
Good luck chloe,Let us know how you get on :)

Aslan

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2008, 23:53:47 »
Definitely ISA Warrens. Bought ours from local commercial chicken farm in excellent condition as point of lay/ £5 each seems a good average price. Real quite, don't hassle the neighbours, very easy to handle and outstanding layers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal