Author Topic: Fork and spade advice  (Read 9497 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Fork and spade advice
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 19:52:14 »
Helen, if you're thinking of buying from Wyvale, go along on a Tuesday - and take a Penshner with you 8) Penshner's 10% discount day is Tuesday, they can sign up and use their discount card straight away ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 20:53:06 »
A lot depends on your soil and how you go about cultivating it. I have a £3 spade I got from Tesco's several years ago after the original one was nicked, and it does me perfectly well because I hardly use it. What I do use, all the time, is a steel fork I got in the market for £5 when I first got the plot. It's indestructible, which is what I need.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 20:56:50 »
we got quite a lot of tools from a bloke who knows someone at the tip  :o
a stainless steel fork with a wooden handle and a border fork, plus he found me a ladies fork that's very light and a 3 prong cultivator..all for a bag of veggies and some pots with bulbs in  ;D

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 21:30:44 »
I bought my S&J stainless steel forks from this lot:
http://www.keengardener.co.uk/product/index/101/garden-tools-spades-forks-and-rakes.rails
When I bought mine, they had the job lot (2x fork, 2x spade and had tools) on special offer and they are a very nice company to deel with - not a big faceless company!
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 21:52:04 »
I expect the tools I use are a bit heavy for the ladies, but I got mine from a builders yard, a fork with a metal handle, weighs a ton but puts up with all sorts of abuse and a clay graft which also has a steel handle. These with the help of my mattock clears and digs over new ground. Then I get out the stainless set with wooden handles for the easy digging.

I take the fork into the forge now and again to get it reset and sharpened. The smithy draws the metal out so it is not much shorter than when I first got it. 

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2008, 22:22:12 »
As Ace says - stainless for light work, otherwise forget it!
I agree with 'powerspade', Bulldog make fine tools. I don't use a spade, I dig with a Bulldog shovel & it shifts clay. I have a good back & I'm an 'oldphart'.
 ;D
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2008, 15:44:20 »
Hi HH
Its not just the weight of the forks and spades but the height. Some years back I bought 1 of each from Argos for the garden and they are still going strong, but more importantly are easy for me to use as they are not too high. I think it was manicscouser who mentioned "ladies forks and spades", and I'd 2nd that!
And more recently I've treated myself to a new fork and spade from B&Q for the lottie, both wilkinson sword - the fork got bent really easily but they gave me a replacement and so far its doing fine. But if it happens again I'll get my money back and look at other makes (it has a guarantee).

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2008, 16:06:48 »
I had the same experience as 1066 with a Wilkinson Sword fork - it bent and broke very easily.  I now use a Spear and Jackson stainless steel one which seems much tougher.
Keep Calm and Carry On

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2008, 17:25:29 »
Just realised I'm a "Quarter Acre"

Yippppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 8)

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2008, 17:28:50 »
Just realised I'm a "Quarter Acre"

Yippppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 8)

...and I seem to have made it to an Acre.  Time flies when you're having fun.
Keep Calm and Carry On

shaun01

• Acre
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2008, 19:44:59 »
nice
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2008, 20:36:46 »
congrats to those of you who've acquired more land since the thread started 8)..

Helen, have you bought yet?

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2008, 10:46:17 »
congrats to those of you who've acquired more land since the thread started 8)..

;D  ::)

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • http://backgardenallotmenteer.blogspot.com/
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2008, 11:41:15 »
Nope, still haven't bought them yet. Might just go and buy a Spears & Jackson traditional wooden-handled fork from Focus, who have them for 25 quid. Haven't decided yet whether to get a spade of the same make, or a cheaper one...

I may have to do concrete-breaking before digging, because of a concrete path running along the south-facing wall, the whole length of my garden - the absolute prime spot for planting!

Diggerdave

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2008, 21:14:42 »
Have you searched around the local boot markets?
I have bought several gardening tools at very reasonable prices, certainly no more than a fiver!
Look for the 'well used' old spades and forks (not too well used of course), with wooden handles. . In my opinion these are much nicer to use, more comfortable and have a bit of character. Can't stand plastic handles.
Check before purchase, bent blade or tines, cracks or woodworm in the stave and a tight handle. Again, I'm not fussy about 'Tee' or 'Dee' handles but make sure it is tight and there are no splits.
When you have made your purchase, rub down the stave and give it a couple of coats of linseed, teak or similar oil, wire brush the blade or tines(if needed), a wipe with an oily cloth and Hey Presto, you'll be amazed how good it looks!! (and feels). And what a bargain!
Good luck, Diggerdave
PS I am still using a spade that was bought for me as a wedding present 45 years ago and it cuts and digs like magic (wooden handle of course)

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2008, 01:08:08 »
Thanks for the tip, Diggerdave. I'd love to get them old and well worn-in, would prefer it to new, even. Will have to look into carboot sales. Unfortunately, the ones I've found out about so far are all on the far outskirts of town and look like they'd take several buses to get to - we don't have a car! Will investigate, though.

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2008, 17:58:05 »
I held off buying new, after all the tips about auctions and car-boots - and today, picked up a wooden shaft/plastic handle, Wilkinson Sword border fork for £3 at the local furniture clearance shop. :D
It's obviously lower-range Wilkinson Sword, and was coated with that grey outer layer of stuff (what is it? reminds me of Hammerite) - but I'll give the tines a good rub down and I think it will be fine. Pretty good for £3 anyway, and I'll keep my eye out in case I can find a really nice one later. It's been a great day for bargains - I also got offered two bedside tables and a dishwasher on Freecycle! Freecycle is fab! But I've never seen garden tools offered there, only requested. Everybody wants 'em!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2008, 09:56:21 »
Well done, Helen! 8) Bet you'll treasure that border fork. Happy digging, hope it becomes a good friend for many years and good luck with finding more bargains :)

(and yes, Freecycle is fab!)

Lishka

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2008, 01:11:11 »
Blimey Riley! - no sooner did I say that tools never come up on Freecycle, than they did! I'm going to collect a bunch of stuff from a Freecycler tomorrow, including a fork, spade, rake and aerator. (I never thought I'd get them, as I thought about 100 people would have instantly requested them.)
Have no idea of brand or quality, but will pick them up; if there's anything I don't need, can pass it on later to someone else.

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
Fork and spade - BAD Freecycler! Gahhh!
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2008, 17:19:34 »
Ah well, so much for the Freecycle bargain. I rang up the lady today to confirm the pickup time, just before setting out on a two-part bus journey across Reading. (She'd already told me I could have them, given me the address, and told me to pick up 'after lunchtime' today.)
At which point, she tells me that she's given the tools to someone else! NOT good! And hadn't even bothered to tell me, so I could have spent 40 mins or so getting to her house, only to find out when I got there; I'd also based my whole weekend around the fact I'd be making that trip this afternoon. HOW annoying is that?!

She said someone else had requested them, and they worked for an Alzheimer's group, so her husband decided he'd rather give the tools to them. Fine, but she had already promised them to me, so should at least have rung to say 'look, I'm really sorry, but...'

Ooh it really annoyed me. Also, she was a bit snippy from the outset (I wasn't surprised that she turned out to be a tricky one) so I refrained from entering into discussion with her about it, as I knew she would be obnoxious and annoy me even further. But of course now I regret not telling her what bad Freecycle etiquette that is!

Boo.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal