Author Topic: Save up to £1500 on your allotment...  (Read 5985 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Save up to £1500 on your allotment...
« on: November 12, 2008, 02:11:24 »
 I read the gardening section on page 46 of the news Of The World dated 09 November.  A comment reads

"And the good news is that the National Society of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners reckons you can save up to £1500 a year on food bills by growing your own"

I wonder if they have taken into account the cost of buying seeds, compost,  paying rent.......and the weather.  I do my allotmenteering as a hobby because I enjoy it although any savings on the food bills is an added bonus.  I will calculate my expenses and offset against yields next year to try and work out my true cost.

Just wondered if anybody thinks they have come close to saving this amount.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Save up to £1500 on your allotment...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 08:33:01 »
Occasionally I find myself doing the sums - like when Lidls have 5 onions for 20p (cheaper than sets!) and spuds for £5 for 25kg at the side of the road.

Of course, if you compare locally grown soft fruit prices you can save quite a bit... but overall, for me, it's about getting fresher food or different varieties. Long beetroots, chard, yellow courgettes... oh, and of course tomatoes with a taste you can't buy!

We used to spend nearer £20 a week at the market, for the last 3 years it's been nearer a tenner, so I reckon we save about £500 at the most, minus about £100 of costs. If you factor in your time, it's probably around £1 an hour. So it has to be for fun!

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 09:12:22 »
if you're just interested in the money, better off with a paper round

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 10:18:42 »
I think we all do the sums from time to time but how many of us would buy 80 globe artichokes, umpteen wheelbarrows of broad beans, runner beans, peas etc, or purple sprouting broccoli piled high on the dinner plate daily for many weeks.

Undoubtedly we all spend less on veg as a result of our activities but anyone who is able to work could earn their grocery bill in 1-2 hours a week. That is the time I reckon it takes just to harvest the crops, never mind the cultivation, weeding, watering and general care.

I like to purchase my seeds from several suppliers over the winter period to hide the real costs of the event.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 10:26:55 »
I like to purchase my seeds from several suppliers over the winter period to hide the real costs of the event.

Haha! Addict!

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 11:40:14 »
I keep a record of what I haarvest and compare it to what I would have spend on veg at my local Asda. Last year I spent £123.00 on seed and compost rent etc, and my harvest was £1253.00, This year I spent £142.00 on the allotment and up to now I have had a harvest of £858.00
I have saved some money by growing my own but to my mind it is not a money thing, first and foremost its a hobby and love of growing things and knowing where and how it is grown.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 12:41:02 »
Hi and welcome Powerspade, ;D

I agree it has to be the love of getting down and dirty, and eating fresh food with no chemicals.  ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 18:39:16 »
Down and dirty, right up my street.  ;)       ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

star

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 18:57:04 »
 ;D

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 19:11:01 »
For me, this is a hard thing to calculate, because I eat what is available on the plot. That isnt necessarily what I would have bought if I didnt have a lottie, if you know what I mean ???

I certainly wouldnt have bought the amount of sweetcorn , raspberries , gooseberries, strawberries and blackcurrants that I get from the lottie.

cj :)

kingston boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 20:29:40 »
Quote :I have saved some money by growing my own but to my mind it is not a money thing, first and foremost its a hobby.

Howdy all, I'm new on here and find it an interesting site. For a change, growing by real allotment holders and in real English (if we can say that)
I have 3 half plots ,each 100 sq meters and all i can pick at the mo' is January King and Brussels but theres a lot to come next month and into the spring but the furthest thing from my mind is what it costs me. I just never let it enter my head. This new season i have already spent near £300 on seed potatoes, veg seeds, soil conditioner, glue bands a roll of fleece (bless ebay) and a nice new cold frame. There is still the plot rental to come next month. Due to age related i now only pay £15 per plot.
I hope the missus dont read this cos its beginning to sound costly now! I will say that we dont buy very much from the shops but i still think that no matter what the cost or savings may be, it is the best hobby i've got. Sad i know, but its just nice to grow stuff and know its not had gunge sprayed all over it in Africa or somewhere. This year i think i will scare myself and do a cost buying and cost saving exercise. Like in another thread using Lidls prices it could look like it may only be an excuse to get out of doing the back garden with 'er indoors supervising. Taste and enjoyment is what its about in my book

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 21:15:54 »
hiya, kingston boy, welcome to the site, watch out it's as addictive as seed buying  ;D

star

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 22:33:03 »
Welcome to the forum Kingston boy ;D ;D

Taste and enjoyment.....................agreed ;D ;D ;)

3 plots eh?.........Busy lad you are :D

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 16:54:32 »
Hey Kingston boy & welcome.... Are we talking Kingston Jamaica, or the one a few miles up the road from me... My cousin has a lottie at the one in Surrey, just thought I'd ask...

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 17:02:10 »
This year with the exception of sweetcorn , parsnip, potatoes and gladioliosI plan on growing only plants from seed I have left over from previous years (I have quite a lot) or seeds from this years crops.

That should only leave me with compost, chicken feed and rent to find (possibly)

I may have to buy a new packet of chard - its entering its 6th year

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 18:43:33 »
When working out the costs, are people using the supermarket organic prices.  :-\      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

kingston boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 19:33:38 »
[
Hey Kingston boy & welcome.... Are we talking Kingston Jamaica, or the one a few miles up the road from me... My cousin has a lottie at the one in Surrey, just thought I'd ask...
[/quote]

Yeah,i'm just up the road from Guildford but there are 23 sites in the Royal Borough. Which one does your cous' work on?

shaun01

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 19:55:20 »
for me the cost dint come in to it  ;D i have only had my plot since the end of march and turned it in to my kingdome i absolutely love it :P i am a cheeky chappie who loves to have a laugh and i have made some very good mates male and female young and old every time i go on to my plot within 10 Min's the kettles on and my shed or should i say tea room is full at the moment i am moving in to bigger premises just got to get the roof on one of the lads got me an old wood burning stove from an old train and i cant wait to get the bacon and eggs going for the crazy crew  :D it means much more to me then saving a few quid now the wife lol she is not so keen she wont eat anything i grow and has only been down a few times she prefers the super market veg nice and clean all the same size and bland but i am determind to change her to a proper plotter  ;)
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt.

kingston boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 20:02:25 »
hey there Shaun1
It seems that sustanance will cost a fortune in grub and tea.
Do your pals do any digging for their goodies?
Clean the veggies be4 you get home,it will make a difference

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 07:28:16 »
My mum's just as bad with dirty veggies. I get to have all my Dad's onions, carrots and parsnips, as she likes nice clean ones from the shop.

I wont suggest he cleans them, or my extra supply will dry up ;)

cj :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal