Author Topic: WoW prob.  (Read 1841 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
WoW prob.
« on: November 11, 2008, 15:28:17 »
My step-son gets this message when trying to fire up his game, World of Warcraft.
"World of Warcraft was unable to start up 3D acceleration"?

I've tested the graphic drivers, DX9 and all seems OK.
 Any gamers solved this on? It seems to be a common fault of late.
Thanks. Ken.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: WoW prob.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 15:52:49 »
I used to spend a lot of time on WoW, got up to level 50 then screwed up the hard drive on the desktop & haven't been on since.

It's not a hugely resource hungry game though... is this since doing a driver update? Have you checked the WoW issues/faults section?

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 16:13:07 »
Hi Ollie,
The only thing he's added is a chat place linked to the game, but he's run it since then anyway.
 The game is failing to load and asks that he checks his drivers. I've checked them and all seems fine. He's busy shutting down all the rubbish thats running in the background at the mo as apparently some stuff can interfere with the loading. After that we'll see if the game fires up. Why it's happened now we don't know.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 16:20:10 »
I suspect that you've already tried looking for settings on graphics, in case 3D acceleration has been turned off? After that I'd consider rolling back to the last driver. After that I'd probably get really annoyed.

I hate computers, they always break. Stupid things.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 17:22:22 »
Sorted!
It was the chat related link.
 Took it off. All is OK now.
Ken.

Solorn

• Quarter Acre
  • The Worlds Only 6ft Gnome
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 09:58:00 »
Sometimes the speech overlay programmes mess with the WoW interface. This has become more common since WoW introduced their own voice comm. Stick with what the game has built in to it and everything should be fine. Sometimes It can help by doing an 'over the top' reinstall of the game also. You will need to make sure that all your drivers are kept up to date and things like Direct X are changing rapidly. Not quite that needed in WoW but for many new games they require the latest version.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal