Author Topic: Leek growing tip  (Read 1352 times)

vegmandan

• Half Acre
    • My Allotment Diary
Leek growing tip
« on: November 09, 2008, 22:55:52 »
When I sow my leeks I use those polystyrene boxes that Greengrocers get their Brocolli delivered in.

They just chuck 'em away so they'll give you them for free. ;D

They're deep sided so you get a good amount of compost in them and as a result good strong plants ready for planting out,and the polystyrene helps to keep the warmth in at night.

Just sow,then thin out and you don't need to faff about pricking out etc,just keep them growing 'till you replant outside.

They come in all sizes 12"x18" to 2ftx2ft.and are handy for all sorts of other stuff as they have a lid on too. ;D

-------------------------------------------
I will grow a 10lb Onion if it kills me !

jonny211

• Acre
Re: Leek growing tip
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 13:51:51 »
When do you sow yours Dan, I've a feeling I sowed too early this year and many bolted once in the ground.

Jon

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 13:55:06 »
I lost mine as well, either they bolted or became very woody...........complete failed crop this year :(
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 13:59:32 »
I also lost many once transplated, the leaves (is that the flag?) just died off and didn't come back and the leek didn't grow on at all.

The council stuck up posters about some kind of allium loving insect and recommended not planting until June after the first generation of beasties had passed, would this give leeks enough time to mature after a June sowing though?

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 14:03:44 »
Yes Jonny, most leeks are winter hardy and stand well till early spring. Autumn maturing ones may struggle to reach a good size if we have another autumn like this one :).

I like to grow through the winter to extend my winter crop as I am limited for space ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

vegmandan

• Half Acre
    • My Allotment Diary
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 16:15:25 »
When do you sow yours Dan, I've a feeling I sowed too early this year and many bolted once in the ground.

Jon

I only sow mine in mid to late March so they're ready to plant out about late May/early June.

I will grow a 10lb Onion if it kills me !

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 19:08:08 »
I would have thought that a June sowing is far too late for leeks. Were the Council not talking about a June transplanting of the leeks to their final growing bed? I sow mine in Feb in polystyrene fish boxes, free from the fishmongers, but you do need to wash them well to stop the smell!
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 19:23:51 »

As a newbie, last Feb I sowed leeks - amongst many others, in my spare room.

They grew then flopped and all but died !     I took them for gonna's and put them at the bottom of the outside mini green house, they didn't exactly spring into life but after a few months of total neglect,
   resembled some kind of seedling.

Took them to the lottie, and as I was convinced that I was doing it all wrong - kinda ignored them.

As they started to straighten and resemble some sort of plant, I put them into the well composted
   bed and stood back !

Was a long haul, but we are now enjoying very large and tasty leeks.

Nil desporandum, They are tougher than you think !

Like the sound of the growing ' boxes ' , will scout the veg market I think,

floss x

Hertfordshire,   south east England

amberleaf

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 13:17:08 »
There are a lot of boxes the supermarkets throw away which can be used on the plots. Just check as you go round and put them in your trolley.

Once they have been used as food containers, even double wrapped, they have to be destroyed and can not be re-used. So taking them for re-use is actually being 'green'.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal