• Nottinghamshire.
Re: Hello
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2008, 15:10:24 »
I've got beds but they are not raised so can i be in ya gang  :'(

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2008, 15:11:37 »
Sounds like fantastc progress in such a short space of time. You've obviously relised how addictive this is and that you never get over the excitement of picking/digging your own produce and eating it fresh from the ground! A frog pond is a great idea too, they will help to keep slugs at bay.

I'm another one that grows in rows rather than raised beds. I know that sems to be the trendy way of doing it these days but I started off with rows (because I didn't know of any other way t the time) and it would be too much effort to change. And actually, I'm not sure why I would want to.....

What are the advantages/disadvantages.....or perhaps I should have started a new thread for that one?

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2008, 15:40:24 »
I don't bother with raised beds. Mind you I only grow vegetables on less than half of my half plot!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2008, 17:22:18 »
I'm on clay and our site has awful drainage but I don't have raised beds. I use those plastic strips of lawn edging to identify the paths between the beds, but that's it.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2008, 20:09:47 »
No raised beds here either. I have a vague plan but then there are always the bits that one swops or folk give, so I push them in wherever I can with skinny little paths in between. I do like a bit of disorganization. (and it won me a prize this year 8))
Smile, it confuses people.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2008, 21:51:43 »
No raised beds here either. I have a vague plan but then there are always the bits that one swops or folk give, so I push them in wherever I can with skinny little paths in between. I do like a bit of disorganization. (and it won me a prize this year 8))

Please, can I get a prize for being disorganized and not having raised beds?
And then can I have another for sinking all my surplus washing-up bowls in the garden? It's a washing-up bowl graveyard in there....but oh! how the frogs love them 8)

And hello Normylass and welcome.

Lishka

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2008, 22:13:35 »
The prize was a cheque big enough to buy me a washing up bowl Lish ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Lottie103

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2008, 22:32:13 »
Hiya Normylass, from another newbie  ;D. Well done you - I don't envy you having to dig out all that grassy stuff. We only had big brambles, but so much easier to deal with than grass (& rubbish!) imo.

No raised beds here either - not much of anything just yet tho tbh lol. I do like the idea of a frog pond - we have frogs & methinks they need a nice home. I think I'll nick the bin lid / washing up bowl idea at least til we get more organised!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2008, 11:07:10 »
Great idea, have two old washing up bowls in the garden. Will take them to the allotment.  Do I have to put anything in apart from a few rocks, they will fill up with rain water this weather so won't have to use water from the water tank (might not be so fresh).  Do I have to get a frog/frogs to stick on or do they find the washing up bowls themselves.  Do I put it under a tree or somewhere quiet.  I am getting quite excited about it.  Could plant all round the bowl and make a water feature.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2008, 11:21:54 »
Welcome, Normy :)

Normylass

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2008, 12:59:07 »
WOW all these replies  ;D

I like your style Froglegs, A scuba suit to dig in  :D
We did think about having raised beds but decided that as the soil is good (when you get to it) and it drains well so we didn't need to use them.
Have been to the allotment today and done some digging/clearing. Have taken up my Kids old sand pit (they are grown up now) and will use that for the frog pond.

Jue

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2008, 18:55:14 »
Welcome Normylass to the madhouse, :P I have a washing up bowl but no frogs, how do I attract them or do you have to put spawn in, and do you think its the washing up liquid that's keeping them away,  ;) another in the no raised bed gang, do we get a badge or something.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2008, 21:09:42 »
and do you think its the washing up liquid that's keeping them away,  ;) 

The washing up liquid only attracts fairies, not frogs, I think, Kev :-\

Borlotti, plant round the bowls, the frogs like to keep shaded and secret and safe - oh! and don't worry about supplying fresh water, don't think they're fussed about that, either ;D Just make sure that they - and any little birds, etc. -  have easy access in and out. I've got curved pieces of stone piping as well as rocks. So, two of my bowls are well-hidden, but the third is in the open - that's the one that the birds go to, to drink and bathe. All great fun 8)

I've not got a pond as such in my garden - the frogs just appear and never seen spawn in the bowls. Guess the word's got out round the district that I'm host to a Superior Breed of slugs ;D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2008, 21:52:36 »
With all the rain we have had today I think the whole allotment will be paradise for frogs, ducks etc. but not for me.  We have had no ducks on the allotment although we did have some of the grass verge outside my house for a couple of years.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal