Author Topic: get some ground ready  (Read 1860 times)

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
get some ground ready
« on: November 30, 2008, 09:42:15 »
 Morning all
  I am going to go up the allotment in a few Min's get some ground ploughed over and then put a cloche over some to keep the ground dry and a few degrees warmer then hopefully, just after the New Year set a few early spuds to try and get an early crop. i think that there is nothing to lose trying this out and with a bit of luck will have New Potatoes ready  sometime in March.

Is anyone else out there going to try some thing a bit risky in the allotment

( and i do mean on the gardening side )  ;D ;D ;D
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

skintnbitter

• Quarter Acre
Re: get some ground ready
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 09:56:59 »
Morning

I too was thinking putting in some potatoes early, but due to the allotment site were i am is not even a year old and the land has never been used for agriculture the soil is still full of clay and tends to hold water. However not one to be defeated i am thinking of planting in old tyres.

I am very much a plant it and see what happens kind of person. If it grows it is a bonus if not i put it down to experience.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 10:34:47 »
I have never tried to grow old tyres,must give it a go,could save a packet :o ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 10:47:17 »
If the weather's anything like here, Richard, i hope you've got an actual plough- don't think I could get a spade in today!

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 01:02:17 »
Is anyone else out there going to try some thing a bit risky in the allotment

Most things I do on the allotment could be considered risky or at least unconventional. As for spuds, I had wondered if there was any mileage in taking the individual shoots off a sprouting tuber to grow on as slips in the manner of sweet potatoes. I have sprouted a few of the Vales Emerald that were free from DT Brown this spring. They are growing nicely at the moment in 1 litre pots but I'm not sure what will be the best treatment for them over the winter.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 01:04:10 by Eristic »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal