Author Topic: red cabbage  (Read 905 times)

darren2007

• Quarter Acre
red cabbage
« on: November 06, 2008, 21:25:09 »
i am growing some red cabbage this year and would like to know how to pickle it if anyone know of any good ways to do this all so what vinegar to use
i have a jar of pickling vinegar left which i used when i made my first batch of beetroot but wont be using it for beetroot again as it was not to my taste so any help would be greatful thanks ( might try with the cabbage )
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 21:30:48 by darren2007 »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: red cabbage
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 22:11:21 »
No we eat ours raw grated into salads or braised with apples and spices...
 :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 08:19:44 »
I pickled some, just chopped it up and added a teaspoon of sugar to the pickling vinegar and bottled it  :)

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 12:22:04 »
I follow Mrs Beeton, I cut up the cabbage, remove the stalks and layer it in a washing up bowel, sprinkle each layer with salt, cover bowel with a tea towel and leave over night. Drain off and squeeze out the juices then place into jars and cover with clear distilled vinegar. Job Done.

Hope this helps.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 13:42:14 »
Pickling vinegar in its raw form is sometimes too strong for some and to to everyones taste.  I have never pickled cabbage,  but for beetroot and onions - I dilute it with some water when bringing to the boil and add a teaspoon of sugar into the jar just before popping the lid on then giving it a shake to mix.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal