Author Topic: FIREWORKS AND ANIMALS  (Read 11038 times)

betula

• Hectare
Re: FIREWORKS AND ANIMALS
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2008, 15:21:39 »
Flunky,I have said everything I want to say on the subject,so OK Peace now :)

Barlotti,I do not know the original meaning of that old saying.You are probally right,something to do with if the egg was off or not.I have a book somewhere on the original meanings,will try to find it and let you know :)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2008, 15:26:34 »
Perhaps we should start a thread on sayings.  I always said to my children 'don't care was made to care' and they asked me what it meant.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2008, 15:38:05 »
Perhaps we should start a thread on sayings.  I always said to my children 'don't care was made to care' and they asked me what it meant.

Takes me back Borlotti ;D

Don't care was made to care
Don't care was hung
Don't care was put in the pot, and stewed until he was done.

I'll get my coat.

valmarg

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2008, 16:31:22 »
Sucking eggs was a way of blowing the contents of the egg out of a very small hole so the shell remained intacked  :)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2008, 17:10:36 »
Then we copied the USA again and we had to have BIGGER ! they are now multi shot bombs and have to have more gunpowder to get them up high enough !!!

See all that time looking for "weapons of mass destruction" and they were hiding in my neighbours back garden!!! lol  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2008, 17:27:45 »
Then we copied the USA again and we had to have BIGGER ! they are now multi shot bombs and have to have more gunpowder to get them up high enough !!!

See all that time looking for "weapons of mass destruction" and they were hiding in my neighbours back garden!!! lol  ;D

Now thats funny.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2008, 19:33:22 »
Why does someone want to suck an egg out of a shell to keep the shell intact.  Suppose it just means one is clever or a party trick in the old days.  Don't think I will try it although granddaughter did want me to teach her to do it, as I told her 'Not to teach her grandmother to suck eggs'.  Hundreds of children and grandchildren sucking eggs. I can peel a cooking apple without breaking the skin, my mother taught be that.  Perhaps it should be don't teach your grandmother to peel an apple in one piece.  Oh dear.   'Don't care was made to care', they were usually told off or sent to bed, better than the true version.  Thanks for that Betula.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2008, 20:00:05 »
Why does someone want to suck an egg out of a shell to keep the shell intact. 

My dad used to paint eggs and make little trinket boxes from them, so he had to suck the egg out first.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2008, 20:07:48 »
It's not something I have ever done, but I had been taught that if you wanted to empty an egg shell, in order to add the shell to your collection, you pierced a hole in each end of the shell and blew the contents out.  Rather than suck eggs you blew them.

valmarg

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2008, 20:23:33 »
You may well be right with that one, I just remember being yelled at to get out of his light rofl!  ;D

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2008, 21:21:47 »
Will somebody PLEASE tell President Bush, that he's tightening his net in the wrong place.  Osama Bin Laden is most definitely hiding out in Barry Island.  Just heard one of his exocet missiles going off over my roof!!!  ;D >:( >:( >:(

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2008, 22:20:03 »
 Oh shut up, not you, just the bl....dy fireworks.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2008, 19:58:16 »
Lish, got your message i am so pleased your bonfire night went off ok, sounds like you all had a lovely time, glad it never rained for all of you. ;D ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2008, 20:07:14 »
Thanks Buds ;)

dc2

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2008, 12:59:18 »
I heard of someone who said  they managed to get hold of a CD with the sounds of fireworks going off .
the idea being you play the CD at very low volume to your pet and very gradually turn up the volume . You do this for a while before bombfire night .
And supposedly your pets become used to the noise .
I am lucky my dog just sits and watches the fireworks through my window  :) with out a care in the world .

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2008, 14:02:26 »
Late in replying but I have been away :) My King Charles would jump on the back of the sofa and try to claw through the wall. Medication from the vet didn't do a lot. As the fireworks start about a week before 5th I give her the medication and turn my music full blast. (good job daughter lives next door) then on 3rd Nov I put her in kennels (she loves the kennel maids). Fortunately the kennels are over a mile down a country road.
My children were always given the option of fireworks or extra pocket money, they always chose extra money ;D
There is a house just over the road and I hate to think how much they spend, the big'uns make me jump but they have a really spectacular show and I enjoy watching.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2008, 19:01:21 »
Next doors son is autistic and the bangs make him scream in pain as his ears are so sensitive !! is that fun ??

I used to work with people with learning disabilities and for many, fireworks were a nightmare.  One lady in particular, who also had autism, could not cope with them at all.  Whenever fireworks were let off she too would scream and start pulling at her hair and hitting out at things.   :(

For this reason alone I would much prefer organised displays only.  As it is now, people can buy fireworks all the year round and let them off whenever they wish.  It just isn't fair on those people that are terrified of them.  I think it is the bangers that are the cause of the problems and would be more than happy to see them banned.

I am fortunate that my dog is a springer spaniel, a gun dog breed so I don't have any difficulties with her when there are fireworks about.  I also live on the edge of Salisbury Plain and the Artillery noises from the Army rattle my patio doors.   Not quite as loud or alarming though as having my next door neighbours letting off their fireworks or lighting bonfires about 10 feet from my house and even closer to my hedge, when there own houses are 200 feet away!!   >:(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal