Author Topic: 4 ply?  (Read 3263 times)

carolinej

• Hectare
4 ply?
« on: November 04, 2008, 22:06:22 »
Does anyone know of a shop that sells 4 ply wool in a mid brown colour?

I have tried Shaws, which is really the only place round here that has any sort of wool selection. They only have white and pastel colours. Nothing in Wilkinsons.

I have looked on ebay, and may have to resort to that, but the postage costs make it quite expensive.

Incase  you are wondering, it is to knit a teddy bear ;D

cj :)

littlebabybird

• Hectare
Re: 4 ply?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 22:08:12 »
caroline the shop here will have it, how soon do you need it?
lbb

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 22:17:43 »
Within a fortnight preferrably, as I need to get on with it. It is a pressie for christmas.

It would be great if you could check out the price for me.

Oh, and it's for a vegan, so it cant have any wool in it.(nothing is ever simple ::))

Thanks.  ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 23:34:20 »
You want me to check out my local shop as well, CJ? How much (balls, skeins?) do you need? I'll call in there tomorrow on my way back from work & report back tomoz night if you want.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 00:01:25 »
Is there a branch of Dunelm near you? They normally have a good selection.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 07:16:34 »
Thanks everyone ;D

Dunelm is a long way away, but thanks for the idea, as I didnt know they sold wool.

The pattern says 30g and 30g in contrasting colour for the pads. So I suppose  50g is the size I would have to get.

For years, our local charity shops have had various cones of 4ply knitting cones in, I assume from people who used to have knitting machines. Now I need some, there is none to be found, tut!

Thanks again

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 15:48:17 »
Ya wanna knit more than one? Teddy Bears Picnic, like :D

Mid brown,4 ply, 100g, 100% acrylic = £1.69

btw knitting teddies is the in thing atm..there's special teddy knitting wool, all shaggy and cuddly 8)

xxx

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 20:40:40 »
Thanks Hyacinth,

sounds like a good price.

If  get the money to you for the wool and postage, would you be able to get some for me and post it down?

Good to know I am being fashionable ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 21:18:08 »
No probs Caro, will post tomorrow - and I've got your address, haven't I? ;) ;D

I'll PM you how much after I've posted, 2nd class stamps for Christmas will be fine 8)

Cheers! Lish x

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 21:22:36 »
For years, our local charity shops have had various cones of 4ply knitting cones in, I assume from people who used to have knitting machines. Now I need some, there is none to be found, tut!

The wool on cones is spun in a different way from wool for hand knitting - the two are not interchangeable. I used to do machine knitting - years ago on a different planet - and that's about the only thing I can remember.  My OH used to call it the "oh sh*t machine" for obvious reasons.  ::) ::) ::) ::)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 13:41:04 »
Posted! P.O. does its stuff & you should receive it tomozz or the day after :)

;D Those "Oh s**t" machines...are they any smaller now I wonder? Years ago I visited a man who.....claim to fame....knitted ALL his own cardigans ??? :o...he had this machine-thingy set up in his front room...big pieces of, well, aerial, seemed to me,  going up and all over (I think he used to knit his cardies in a fairisle(sp?) pattern) :o

All I could think of saying was.."and do you get good radio4 reception on that?"

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 18:38:12 »
Thanks.

Will pm you ;D

shaun01

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 18:48:23 »
do people still knit   well i never ,i thought it had all stopped now i use to hate wearing the school jumpers my mum use to knit for me i think knitting should go to room 101
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 18:59:44 »
do people still knit   well i never ,i thought it had all stopped now i use to hate wearing the school jumpers my mum use to knit for me i think knitting should go to room 101

That's it!!!

You arent getting the knitted wellies for christmas that I have been making for every member of A4A.

And dont appologise, my decision is made.  ;)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 21:15:28 »
I had the "oh sh*t" machine set up in the bedroom, because we had a HUGE bedroom and it got a bit lonely up there with everyone downstairs I could hear them and would have preferred to be downstairs with hand knitting.  I don't have rrom (or the heart) to use it now, and it's been in the loft for 15 years - machine, ribber, lace attachment, all the bits and pices.  One day I'll get it all together and get rid of it, if anyone wants it.

It was easy to knock up a jumper in a weekend for the kids, but I still prefer hand knitting.  :) :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 08:34:54 »
Amazing, I don't know if there's a resurgence in knitting - or if it never went away but I didn't notice?...anyway my little local drapers shop has had a refurb. and when I went in yesterday there was a wall-to-ceiling array of wools and I had to wait in a queue ::) to get served. Young women, too..

CJ, I'm puzzled that your vegan friends won't wear wool? No animals harmed in their grooming? - wot's that all about, please? Can you find out for me - thanks.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 09:17:08 »
Will look in to it, but this off top of my head, as living with a  vegan, you get regular updates.

Lot of wool taken from dead sheep as by product of meat industry.

Bad farming methods give some sheep an awful life.

We have sheep on our mountain. They are regularly lame and either limping or using their knees to walk on. Often, you see sheep who's skin and flesh on their knees have worn away, and are walking on bare knee joints.

The farmer just comes once a year to get the fleece and leaves them to their own devices the rest of the year.

The old ones get sent for meat pies.

If it wasnt for the wool and meat industry, the farmer wouldnt breed these sheep in the first place to have such a bad life.

Anyway, back off my soap box now. Will get more details off son.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 14:57:08 »
....but would your friends have woolen clothes made from wool gathered from 'reputable' (for want of a better expression I can't think of atm) sources...ie I read of a lady who breeds llamas, not only cos they're lovely gentle creatures, but their wool is combed out and knitted? Llamas are just one example...I had a Lhasa Apso once & read that in Tibet their coat was combed out to knit/embroider/make blankets with..

Yeah, really like to know, please & if you want it to be via PM to keep this on topic, fine.

Thanks a lot.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 18:04:08 »
Have sent you a pm

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 18:19:19 »
We knit for 'Bonnie babies'
its for very prem babies and the sad part is the knitting we do so that mum who have lost babies can hold them and bury them in  :'( nut is so worth while and as they are so small they take no time to do :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal