Author Topic: any sloe ideas?  (Read 3175 times)

jo2

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate couch grass
any sloe ideas?
« on: August 17, 2004, 12:31:07 »
Hi has any one got any recipes for sloe berries? The trees arround here are absolutly covered and it seems a shame not to use them.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:any sloe ideas?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 13:39:48 »
sloe gin....sloe gin!   ;D  Go to the drinkies forum and have a look - tis to die for!  Cor, when you google, all you can see are recipes for sloe gin!  One recipe does say keep the sloes when the brewing has finished, stone them and scatter them on ice cream!  :P

Found this:

Blackberry and Sloe Sorbet
250ml HIGHLAND SPRING STILL MINERAL WATER
250g CASTER SUGAR
50ml SLOE PUREE
150ml BLACKBERRY PUREE
Juice of 1/2 LEMON
Dissolve the sugar in hot Highland Spring, making sure no sugar crystals are left. Add the fruit puree and lemon juice. Mix through the stock syrup thoroughly. Place in an ice-cream machine and freeze for 30-40mintues.

Note: If you don't have access to an ice-cream machine, you can place it into the freezer then whisk every half hour until it reaches sorbet consistency.

a trillion variations of sloe gin and gin related cocktails!

Pixie

• Acre
  • Chorlton the magical happiness dragon
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 12:52:13 »
Bother I knew someone was looking for sloe recipies and I couldn't remember who. :-\

I have added sloe chutney and sloe jelly to recipies 4 all  ;D

Sam
"Jump in, we'll take you for a spin, and show you round the Wheelie World..."

Pixie

• Acre
  • Chorlton the magical happiness dragon
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 17:22:00 »
Sloe Chutney

Sloes
2 tart apples, peeled, cored and chopped
2 medium sized onions, sliced
1lb raisins
1 teaspoon of hot chilli powder
2 inch piece of fresh root ginger, grated
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
12 cloves
juice and grated rind of 2 oranges
1lb of soft brown sugar
1 pint of organic white wine vinegar

Put the ingredients in a large cooking pot and stir, using a wooden spoon. Bring to the boil and stir occasionally. Reduce the heat so the mixture simmers, stir occasionally, for 3 hours or until it is thick. Ladel into clean, warm jars. Cover, label and leave in a cool place for a couple of months.

Sloe Jelly

2lb sloes, trimmed and washed
1 lb of cooking apples, cut into quarters
Juice of one lemon
sugar

Prick the sloes with a needle and put them in the pot with the apples. Just cover these with cold water and then add the lemon juice. Bring this lot to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for one hour or until the fruit is soft. Every so often, using a wooden spoon, bash the fruit into the pot.
Strain the pulp of the soles and apples in a jelly bag for at least 12 hours. Measure the amount of juice and return this to the pan.
Add 1 lb of sugar for every pint of pulp juice. disolve the sugar in the juice over a low heat. Then bring to the boil for the next ten minutes, without stiring. Test for the setting point by placing some of the mixture on a plate and running your finger along the mixture, when ready, it should form a skin and wrinkle.
Ladel into clean, hot, dry jars. You should get about 8lbs from this lot.

Sam
"Jump in, we'll take you for a spin, and show you round the Wheelie World..."

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 19:37:23 »
Sloe Gin!  A word of warning - a friend got a nasty injury from the thorns when gathering the berries - took absolutely ages to heal.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 03:39:17 »
When the sloe gin is finished, take the sloes, stone them and drop them into ice-cube trays, top up the trays with melted chocolate and bung the whole lot in the fridge = home made liqueur chocolates

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 14:15:11 »
Sloe gin - another warning - keep it away from children & grandchildren!! Or in a bottle labelled Domestos?

Bannerdown

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 16:23:11 »
As Mrs Beaton would say “First collect your sloes” In our neck of the woods there has been the requisite frosts and I know of a cracking bush miles away from the road so no sloes bathed in Carbon Monoxide or engine oil, but could be some spray drift from the local farm, but then, what do they care! (Stick to the subject Phillips, “Yes Sir, sorry Sir!)

EITHER  prick the sloes with a silver needle, or to make the sweet below remove the stones using an olive stoner.  (Available at all good kitchen shops).  

Here is what you do (with Sloes after they have worked their magic on the Gin.)

Into a pan place,
125 g’s of double fresh cream.
25 g’s of unsalted butter
25 g’s of honey – optional
bring all the above to a gentle boil and pour into a bowl containing the broken pieces of 200 g’s dark cooking chocolate stirring until chocolate has ‘dissolved’.  

Add the sloe pieces, this is why I prefer to remove the stones prior to soaking, trying to cut the flesh off the stones after soaking is ‘trying’ and you get bigger bits for more ‘ZING’, but cut the sloes up smaller if thought necessary.  

I hav’nt tried this but could a little sloe gin be added at this stage or would it lower the freezing level to such a point where the mix wouldn’t stiffen?

Pour into shallow tray and chill thoroughly in ‘fridge.
Melt chocolate, of your choice, white, milk or dark over basin of hot water.  With a melon baller scrape the (I believe the technical name is gnash!)  mixture into balls and drop into the melted chocolate, retrieving before the ball melts and disappears dropping onto wax paper, return to ‘fridge.

Finally, roll balls in either chocolate ‘hundreds and thousands’, cocoa powder of ‘drinking chocolate’ powder. Place in little cake cases and then into colourful small boxes, (I scrounged mine from the posh chock shop).  

I think it would be advisable to consume these treats sooner than later as they contain fresh cream.  Cheers, Tony.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal