Author Topic: Shed Alarms  (Read 2989 times)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
Shed Alarms
« on: October 27, 2008, 14:37:10 »
Our Community Safety Team are offering free shed alarms to everyone on the lottie site.  I'm wondering if they'd be worth it.  My main concern would be them going off every 5 minutes in the night if they're triggered by something and disturbing all the neighbours, I don't live nearby so obviously I wouldn't be around to hear it.  Does anyone have an opinion on these?
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Shed Alarms
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 17:37:44 »
If they are the kind we have, then they cannot go off unless someone enters the shed via the door. The problem is that the thieves do not know the shed is alarmed until AFTER they have broken the padlock and opened the door. So while they may save the contents of the shed, you still have damage. The people who broke into our neighbours shed did not trigger the alarm at all, because they removed the window and went in that way.
Gardening is the great leveller.

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 18:01:46 »
What if they just pinched the alarm?  ???

I guess it depends on what would happen if an alarm went off...would someone be around to call the police etc? If not then I don't see that it would make much difference really.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 18:03:31 by electric landlady »

shaun01

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 18:19:29 »
we got free alarms on our site this summer after many thefts from the sheds green houses in my opinion if its kids and an alarm goes off they will scarper so yes i think any deterrent is worth a try i put my alarm on and i all so place my rake in side the door forks up so they get a bit of a shock as well
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 18:24:18 »
Moot point?

When did you ever react to a car or house alarm sounding?
Just irritating.
And the clever so-&-sos are pretty quick on their feet, & would be off with the contents before you could blink.
But if only..........

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 18:30:32 »
I just don't know, but......if sheds are alarmed but no-one knows exactly what might trigger them and cause on-going nuisance,....might it not be a good idea to leaflet surrounding neighbours to the 'lotment explaining what's happening & giving a contact number when/if the alarms are triggered? Explaining in the blurb who's suggested/fitted them & pointing out the added benefit of safety to their own properties through their gardens might help?

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 18:44:30 »
I  specifically leave my shed unlocked, but then I don't keep anything of value in it - just netting, pots, sticks etc.

If its locked, there must be something valuable in it, right ?

As already said, once thieves have broken the lock/door, the damage is done. It doesn't matter that they find nothing of value and hence steel nothing.

i all so place my rake in side the door forks up so they get a bit of a shock as well

I'd be carefull, they are likely to sue you for damages - and win. (Remember the Lincolnshire farmer who shot a burglar and was taken to court and was ordered to pay damages?) Its even more lucrative than theft.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 19:19:57 »
I have to agree with Pesky Wabbit. I have been a victim -but only of a broken lock as I had nothing worth stealing there. I don't bother with any locks now, unlike my neighbour who has set up an alarm. Trouble is he lives a mile away and as it cuts out quite quickly he's never going to know until it's too late.
If I use anything I value I take it home.
Smile, it confuses people.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 19:26:45 »
Have to be honest, I'm not inclined to get one, We've got some pretty sturdy fencing around the site and a good gate with a very hefty padlock.  I'd just be worried all the time about noise nuisance.  I may just go up there for a chat with the officers on Friday to see what the thinking is around them.
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 19:31:32 »
Have to be honest, I'm not inclined to get one, We've got some pretty sturdy fencing around the site and a good gate with a very hefty padlock.  I'd just be worried all the time about noise nuisance.  I may just go up there for a chat with the officers on Friday to see what the thinking is around them.

Way to go Posie, I'd think - see what they come up with, if they've thought the noise-nuisance issue through, etc? Good luck for Friday.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 13:43:50 »
Can you not get door contacts to go with the alarm?  If the alarm is set and there's an attempt to open the shed door, then the alarm will go off before they get in.  Reputable alarms which are installed correctly will not go off willy nilly for no reason  :)

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 14:50:10 »
Just a quick note, who in their right mind would get up in the middle of the night to investigate an alarm on an allotment which was'nt theirs to be confronted by a tool wielding yoof, to prevent the theft of said tools ?

As I have been told these thing only keep an honest person out.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 19:48:05 »
We have had 3 sheds broken into on monday and one poor guy fixed his shed back up only to have it broken into again last night, luckily mine hasnt been touched but will be beefing up the security tomorrow tho :-[
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 11:31:52 »
I find that making the thing more secure has 2 effects, either they cant be bothered or smah it to bits to get in therefore costing more to repair, sorry to hear about your guys luck though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal