Author Topic: Blueberry varieties  (Read 11362 times)

anemone

• Half Acre
Blueberry varieties
« on: November 01, 2008, 18:18:50 »
I've been given a pack of three blueberry plants from Wyevale. They are marked - Julia, Augusta and Septa. The only info with them is that one is early, one mid season and one late.

I'm trying to find info on the web on how big they'll grow etc so I can plan where to put them, but can't find anything on the names above. Does anyone know if they have other variety names?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Blueberry varieties
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 23:18:38 »
My guess is that "Julia, Augusta and Septa" are July, August and September, not the variety names.
Wyevale should be able to tell you what varieties they are, might be worth giving them a ring.

Modified to add - think I'm right in saying that most blueberries seem to keep to about 3 ft high by about 3 ft diameter - someone who has grown them longer than me may be able to confirm or otherwise.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 23:20:33 by jennym »

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 23:52:58 »
jennym is right they are the months that they fruit i have the some blueberrys that were labelled the same and they were ready roughly around the time of the names on the label. 
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

portsmouth30

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 21:17:28 »
cant help you as to the varietys but i have several plants that fruit right across the season. as to height etc, my four year old plants are about 4ftx2ft

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 21:27:40 »
hiya, portsmouth30, welcome to the site  ;D
we have 2 blueberry bushes, both in black buckets buried in the ground, keeps them damp which they, apparently, like..I think they were top hat, 3rd year, finally getting a crop  ;D
ours are about 2'x2'..

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 21:49:25 »
I Have two in pots (TopHat and Earliblue. Both bought Feb last year in 5" pots from a small nursery - I think they had done their own cuttings.

Not many berries last summer as plants were small - but I potted them on when i bought them as seemed a bit root bound and they took off, so this spring potted on again - now in 15" pots and they are about 2 ft tall and the same wide. I will pot them on again next Spring.

I don't have acid soil - sort of neutral so I don't want to plant them out into the Fruit patch with the other currant bushes. However I do think they are going to outgrow pots very quickly. Has anybody any tips on the best way to keep them in ericaceous soil as a permanent bed. Would a big raised bed do - like the link-a-bord system 1 m2 and 75 cm deep?

anemone

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 22:22:54 »
Wyevale put me onto the supplier who said they are probably :
Bluejay   early
Emblue   middle
Dixi   late

I was also thinking of putting mine in a big raised bed, so would be interested to know if this would work okay if filled with ericaceous soil too.

portsmouth30

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 17:01:29 »
Have mine planted in to a raised bed filled with Ericaous, just have to remember to feed them on a regular basis and to top dress with wood shavings

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 19:01:19 »
Remember to use ericaceous fertilizer.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 20:00:12 »
we use pine needles  :)

anemone

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 20:54:20 »
Thanks will do. How big would you make the raised bed? I have 3 plants that are quite little atm but looks like they could grow 3-4 feet. If i'm lucky that is :) I was originally thinking 1.5metres but is that going to be too small?

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 21:05:37 »
Hi there

I bought the same blueberry pack from Wyevale this spring and potted them up in black buckets with John Innes ericaceous compost.  They all produced a small crop, which didn't make it home ;D.  I'm planning to move them into bigger tubs but I don't expect them to make 4 feet in tubs - but who knows??

Lara_50

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 14:46:03 »
I've been given a pack of three blueberry plants - Julia, Augusta and Septa.
I'm trying to find info on the web on how big they'll grow etc so, I'm trying to find info on the web on how big they'll grow etc so. And...
" Mr.Blueberry Longseasonmix includes three blueberry plants with fruit that ripens in consecutive periods. To avoid any confusion, we created new names for the three varieties:

JULIA:        early ripening
AUGUSTA: mid-season ripening
SEPTA:      late ripening

The names refer to the corresponding months. The Mr. Blueberry Longseasonmix will allow you to harvest from July through September after a few years: for the entire blueberry season! Of course, Mr.Blueberry created a handy package for Julia, Augusta and Septa. Presented in a triangular tray with a practical carrying handle in the middle, it’s easy to take along. The packaging also ensures your car will remain clean on the drive home from the store."

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 17:01:35 »

I have recently received an ad from T&M for a pink one. ???

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 19:59:26 »
That's a special one for girls Digeroo!!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal